Mauritania is the 28th largest country globally and follows a traditional economic system where most people depend upon agriculture and livestock for their livelihood. Even though the population is 4.3 million, the unemployment rate in 2020 was 10.66 % which is quite high for a developing country. The country is rich in deposits of iron ore which contributes heavily to the country’s total exports. Other mineral commodities include gold, copper, and other metals. The economy is dominated by the industrial sector even though the labor force is largely engaged in the agricultural sector.
The country welcomes enthusiastic job seekers with the required hard skills and soft skills. It is one of the good countries to live in Africa to maintain a peaceful lifestyle and enjoy good facilities and infrastructure. The country also has a large coastline that provides access to abundant fishing areas that offer livelihood to many local fishermen.
Overview of Mauritania
Mauritania is the 152nd largest economy in the world according to the nominal GDP (Gross Domestic Product) in the year 2020. The industrial sector rules the economy with a share of 48% and then followed by the service sector with 37.1 %, and then by the agricultural sector with a share of 14.9 %. The agricultural sector employs around 50% of the labor force, followed by the service sector with 48 %.
Total population - 4.3 million
GDP - US $7.78 billion (FY20)
The GDP growth rate has decreased by 2.16 % in 2020 and reached a US $7.78 billion valuation. The rate is expected to grow by 3 - 5 % in the coming years. The unemployment rate in 2020 is high and is expected to increase in the next year, and it will take time to reduce the rate.
Mauritania has a traditional economic system where most people depend upon livestock and agriculture for a living. The industrial sector rules the Mauritanian economy. The main industries include agriculture, mining, and petroleum, copper, and exports. The majority of the labor force works in the agricultural sector.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
A brief glimpse of the industries
- Mining is one of the major industries in the country. The mining industry is dominated by the mining of iron ore and beneficiation. Iron ore contributes about 38% of the total exports of the country. Other main mineral products include copper, gold, salt and petroleum.
- Another major industry is the petroleum industry. Many companies own oil fields in the country, which opens different job openings. They are major exports as well. Different companies from the UK, China and others invest in the oil reserves of the country. There are opportunities for job seekers in this sector.
- Agriculture is another industry where most of the local population is employed. Livestock is a major source of income for people living in rural areas. A majority per cent of the labor force works in the agricultural industry even though it has a poor agricultural base. Around 50% of the country’s labor force are employed in this sector.
Cost of living in Mauritania
The country is a continuous surprise and has majestic sceneries. It is a peaceful place to live in with good services and infrastructures which have been improving recently. Nouakchott is one of the least expensive cities to live in the world.
The following table depicts the average cost of living in Mauritania in 2021
Salary structure for various roles
The table below depicts the average salaries that are offered to employees in Mauritania according to different sectors: -
Cost of Renting in Mauritania
The cost of renting in Mauritania depends upon the size and the location of the house. One-bedroom apartment may cost you around $294, and a three-bedroom apartment will cost you around $550. The rate may vary depending upon the region. When the lifestyle improves, the rate may also increase.
Cost of living depending upon your location
The top sectors that are expected to hire in 2021 in Mauritania are: -
Top skills in Mauritania
A wide range of skills might help a person get a good career in Mauritania. A person with good hard skills and soft skills can use the job opportunities in the country. From doctors and lawyers to teachers and software developers, there is a big door of opportunities waiting for enthusiastic job seekers in the country.
Major skills and areas which have witnessed a recent growth rate
- Science and Technology
Top skills city-wise occupation-wise
Each city has their quality, and the growth of certain industries may vary depending upon the region
- Nouakchott – It is the largest city and the capital of Mauritania. The city is the economic and administrative centre of the country. It is also the hub of the Mauritanian economy. The city is a little overcrowded as it is home to busy seaports and other major industries. The main industries include transport, education, and agriculture. There are lots of job openings in the city.
- Nouadhibou- It is the second-largest city in the country. The major industries are the iron ore processing industry and fishing. There are job opportunities for enthusiastic job seekers.
- Rosso – It is one of the major cities of Mauritania. The industries include science and technology, education, and international relations. The place also has major attractions for recreation.
Hiring an employee is not an easy task. It requires a lot of time and effort, and it can be tiring at times. The cost of hiring may depend upon a variety of factors, and the employer should meet the cost of hiring. Some of the factors include:
- Onboarding expenses and hiring steps
- Training expenses
- Orientation costs
- Time involved
Employment Laws in Mauritania
The employment system of Mauritania is proper and regulated. Factors such as work hours, penalty rates, and overtime payment vary according to the industries. Law no 2004-015, defines the Mauritanian work legislation. It recognizes two types of contracts: fixed-term contracts and non-fixed term contracts. It lays on certain conditions such as: -
- Maximum 40 working hours a week
- Minimum wage
- Paid and unpaid leave; maternity leave
- Working contracts
- Discrimination protection
How Can Skuad Help You with Hiring in Mauritania?
In the wake of increasing industrial competition in Mauritania, your focus should be on retaining the competitive edge. By engaging in a lengthy and costly recruitment process, you will end up spending more than you ought to. Skuad offers to streamline your hiring process with the help of experienced consultants. Connect with Skuad Experts to know more.