Payroll is one of the most crucial HR functions. It can be challenging as it involves various expenses that can raise your total hiring costs. Payroll expenses are numerous, including the fees of hiring employees and outsourcing to independent contractors.
However, payroll is vital to compliance, and companies constantly seek ways to manage or reduce these expenses. If you’re wondering how to reduce payroll expenses, you’re in the right place. In this guide, you will discover the various payroll expenses, how to manage them, and save money in the process.
Ways businesses can manage payroll expenses
Managing payroll expenses is essential. It keeps you from overspending and can help you comply with local payroll laws. To address these expenses and save money, take these steps:
Outsource work to contractors
One of the top hiring trends is outsourcing. Interestingly, about 59% of businesses outsource various functions to cut costs. Hiring contractors to complement your in-house workforce can help you boost productivity. You will save money on the following when you outsource to contractors:
Paid time off
This is when employees don’t show up to work but receive their wages in full. Paid time off is mandatory in virtually every country, and employers bear the costs. However, they can avoid spending these sums if they outsource and save on hiring costs.
Employers compensate those who hire with bonuses to encourage and reward them for their efforts. These may come in cash, gift cards, or other material gifts. This compensation doesn’t apply to contractors.
In most regions, employers cannot fire employees without reason. Severance is an employee’s compensation for being terminated or without fault. When you outsource to contractors, you can stop your contract with them.
Employees are crucial to the image of an establishment. They are ambassadors of the companies they work for, which is why their actions can impact an employer’s earning potential. For instance, if employees commit crimes, especially with company property, it could tarnish the employer’s reputation.
You can reduce this risk by hiring an independent contractor. They are responsible for their actions and, in most cases, provide their working tools. PR companies spent over $11 billion in 2020 alone. You save money on court dates or PR when outsourcing.
Devise strategies to structure schedules to reduce or eliminate overtime
Sometimes, how you plan schedules and working hours or shifts may reduce your net income. A significant change you must consider is in your overtime scheduling. Overtime adds to an employer’s operational and hiring costs. The rates vary depending on the region. Thus, reducing overtime may be one of the most effective ways to save money.
To save more and consequently increase your net income, take these steps to reduce or eliminate overtime:
Restructure your scheduling
The first step to avoiding overtime is proper planning. Review your scheduling or staffing structure to detect where you may have challenges. Upon determining where you need to make changes, develop plans to correct them. There may be too many workers in specific departments while others are short-staffed. You may need to reschedule shifts to even out the playing field.
Manage time better
Before you take any more measures, have you stopped to ask why you need workers to work extra hours? Eight hours is a lot of time, so you should ask yourself why it’s not enough to complete the day’s work. It all comes down to time management. You could end overtime labor once and for all if you learned how to manage your time better. First, make the best use of the standard working hours. Ensure that employees are actively engaged in their duties during working hours. You should also ensure that every employee takes a break during break time. These breaks enable workers to recover their strength for the rest of the day’s work.
Make working hours more flexible
Another way to eradicate overtime is to make your working hours more flexible. One of the reasons for overtime is the inability to complete the day’s tasks within the standard working hours. Sometimes, this is due to some employees’ failure to perform at their best during specific periods of the day.
While some are active in the morning, others may be more efficient in the evening. You can get the best of both sets of employees if you make the working hours more flexible.
Hiring contractors is one of the most effective money-saving hacks for employers who want to avoid overtime spending. While the local employment laws of most regions have rules and rates for employees working overtime, there are scarcely any for contractors. Thus, you can allot projects to contractors at any time of the day without worrying about having to pay them extra.
Utilize payroll systems
Not only does utilizing payroll software help you automate hiring processes but using these tools can also help you save money. Payroll systems are software applications you can use to calculate, process, and disburse employees’ earnings automatically.
These systems store, secure, and manage crucial information on the cloud. Employees can remotely access these tools through mobile and desktop devices. Many of these tools are easy to use with a simple user interface.
- Seamless integration: Integrating a payroll system can be rewarding if you carefully consider its integration capacity. You save money if you purchase payroll software that seamlessly integrates with your existing tools. Thus, you wouldn’t have to spend money to replace your existing equipment or gadgets.
- Accurate payroll processing: Utilizing a payroll system helps you accurately determine your employees’ earnings. Errors are inevitable when processing payroll manually, and companies often overpay employees on such occasions. More than 13 million American workers admitted to receiving more than their pay. Payroll software can help you accurately calculate payroll to help you lose money through overpaying wages.
- Compliant payroll practices: Compliance is at the forefront of every company’s procedures. They carefully conduct daily activities in line with local employment laws. Inconsistencies in payroll reports and the inability to check payroll activities for compliance can be detrimental to a business. Likewise, late tax remittance or payroll reporting to the IRS or its equivalent in other countries may also incur harsh penalties. Payroll systems help you process payroll faster than completing payroll on paper. These tools also have analytic features that allow you to analyze and monitor payroll activities within your organization. You would quickly spot minor inconsistencies in your payroll before they snowball into significant compliance issues.
- Save on rehiring costs: Developed countries like the United States struggle with a high turnover rate and "The Great Resignation," which has resulted in employees leaving organizations in droves. It may cost the company more to replace the workers. Payroll errors are one of the significant cases of resignation among U.S. employees. Nearly 50% of employees will leave an organization if they find errors on their payslips twice. You can avoid massive resignations and reduce rehiring costs by accurately processing payroll with a payroll system like Skuad.
- Less need for hiring more HR personnel: Virtually every employer dreams of taking their business to global heights and hiring as many employees as possible. Although hiring more employees can help you scale, you must hire more people to process payroll for a growing workforce. Hiring more HR or payroll personnel would only add to your hiring costs. Fortunately, you don’t have to hire more staff for your payroll functions regardless of your staff strength with a payroll system. With simple commands, they automatically perform various payroll functions for all your employees.
- Less dependence on writing materials: When you process payroll on paper, you use many writing materials, which results in additional spending. Also, manually processing payroll would be nearly impossible when your company starts to expand. Not only would you be spending more money on acquiring more writing and printing materials, but you would also be overworking your HR or payroll staff.
- Save on training costs: Besides innovation, payroll systems thrive on simplicity. They are typically easy to navigate, and virtually every learned individual can utilize them. Ideally, employers should train staff on navigating and using new tools to optimize productivity. Thanks to its simplicity, employers can avoid investing in training employees on how to use it. Training sessions cost money, and you can avoid overspending with these tools.
Skuad - a global employment and payroll platform
Technology drive the most successful businesses, enabling them to automate payroll procedures for local and global employees. Invest in automation to reduce hiring costs. A practical method of automating payroll processes is partnering with a global employment and payroll platform like Skuad.
With Skuad, you can take your business global without setting up a local entity. While Skuad ensures you process payroll in compliance with international and local employment laws, you also save money. Partner with Skuad and save money with our offering:
- Competitive employee benefits packages
- Reduced payroll costs
- Increased hiring and payroll processing speed
- Reduced payroll errors
- 100% compliance
Contact Skuad to discover how you can effect efficient payroll management.