Introduction: About Pen Testing Development
Pen testing or penetration testing is a type of security testing used for discovering vulnerabilities and threats in a software application. These vulnerabilities pose as security loopholes in the application, website, or network. Penetration testing is used for identifying and testing all the possible network scenarios.
Vulnerability is a risk that can be exploited by a hacker to gain unauthorized access to the database or system and disrupt the normal functioning of the application. Vulnerabilities are created due to errors during the software development phase that went unnoticed during the testing phase. These vulnerabilities are discovered during penetration analysis, which consists of vulnerability assessment and penetration testing.
Penetration testing is essential and useful in financial sectors that deal with sensitive user data. It can identify any threats in the application and act as a safeguard against hackers. Talk to Skuad experts to know more about how to hire pen testing developers for your company.
Tools and Pen Testing Development Technologies
There are three types of penetration testing methods.
- Black Box Testing
Black box testing is where the penetration tester does not know the internal code structure and systems to be tested. The test focuses mainly on the input and output of software applications. Black box testing can be further subdivided into functional testing, non-functional testing, and regression testing.
- White Box Testing
White box testing is a type of testing where the tester has complete knowledge of the implementation of the network or systems to be tested. The tester is provided with the source code, IP address, database schemas, and OS details. White box testing is also termed as a simulation of an attack by any internal sources within the network.
- Grey Box Testing
Grey box testing is when the tester is provided with partial knowledge of the implementation of the network or system. This is carried out when the attack is performed by an external hacker who has gained unauthorized access to the organization’s infrastructure.
Skuad can guide your hiring process to find the best pen testing developers for your company according to the software development industry needs.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, the hassle -free way with SkuadTalk to an expert
Steps Involved in Pen Testing
Pen testing is carried out in four steps.
- Planning Phase
In this phase, the requirements and scope of the assignment are understood and strategy is discussed for planning out a penetration attack. The focus is on existing security policies and standards that are studied to define the scope of the attack.
- Discovery Phase
This phase comes before performing the attack. Maximum information about the system, architecture, schemas, authorization checkpoints, usernames, and passwords is collected. This step is also called “fingerprinting.” The system ports are scanned and probed and possible vulnerabilities are screened in the system.
- Attack Phase
The various vulnerabilities that are found are exploited and necessary security privileges are utilized to gain access into the system in the attack phase.
- Reporting Phase
This is the post-attack phase wherein all the vulnerabilities are documented in a detailed manner. The risks and vulnerabilities found are assessed for determining the business impact and the risks they pose. In this phase, the penetration tester often suggests recommendations and solutions to the existing system infrastructure and how it can be modified to become secure.
If you are looking for a pen testing developer, you can contact Skuad. We can help you to find the right candidate for your organization. To know more, get in touch with Skuad experts.
Roles and Responsibilities of Pen Testing Developers
The major responsibilities of a penetration test developer are,
- To establish, maintain, and troubleshoot security and vulnerability issues
- To provide end-to-end solutions to the stakeholders
- To have a broad understanding of software and security technologies and their applications
- To identify and provide adequate suggestions and improvements based on current implementation and scenarios
- To cater to the queries of the client or company and help clients with monitoring, testing, and support
Book a demo with Skuad experts to hire the best pen testing developers in the country of your choice.
Expertise Required for Pen Testing Development Industries
Pen testing developers must,
- Perform penetration tests on computer systems, software applications, and networks
- Understand the requirements of the business for efficiently testing the application
- Detect security flaws in the system that may allow hackers to attack a target machine
- Document the penetration testing results neatly so that it is feasible for developers to fix any flaws
- Take responsibility for any loss of information during the testing.
- Keep the extracted data and information confidential between the organization and the tester
- Perform tests on networks, applications, and computer systems
- Keep up with the latest methods for ethical hacking and evaluating new penetration testing tool
- Conduct network and system security audit, evaluating the organization’s system
- Analyze the organization’s security policy effectiveness, make suggestions on security policy improvements, and work to enhance the security policy
- Document findings, write security reports, and work in sync with the IT department and management to provide suggestions and feedback after security fixes are issued
The functions and duties of a penetration test developer are not limited to only the technical domain. They must also perform some client-side management. Additionally, they may be required to actively participate in duties such as,
- Collaborating with the IT delivery team and coordinating with clients to provide a complete overview of cyber threats and risks in their infrastructure and applications
- Collaborating with a team of senior- and senior-level penetration test developers and working in sync with the entire team
- Collaborating with a business analyst and a subject matter expert to identify processes and conduct a feasibility analysis
- Improving the skill set and staying updated with new techniques and tools in the cybersecurity domain
- Attending meetings to build processes and identify issues with a solution
- Possessing excellent communication and negotiating skills and the capacity to deal with stakeholders regularly
Skuad can find, vet, and hire the best pen testing developers for your company. Book a demo with Skuad experts to learn more.
Salary Structure of Pen Testing Developers
The ongoing pandemic has forced talent and companies to resort to remote working. Whether you’re looking for freelance, full-time, or contract-based pen testing developers, Skuad can help you hire the best talent tailored to your requirements and industry.
Salaries for pen testing developers vary according to their position, location, and years of experience. According to market research, the average annual pay in the US can vary from USD 66,380 for an entry-level position to USD 105,870 for a mid-career developer.
To learn about managing pen testing developers’ payroll and salaries, partner with Skuad experts.
Certifications and Qualifications for Pen Testing Developers
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
The CEH certification is recognized as the gold standard for ethical hackers. It covers all the latest hacking techniques and malware tactics. The certification has a four-hour multiple-choice exam followed by a six-hour practical exam to get the certification.
- Certified Penetration Tester (CPT)
The CPT certification tests the candidate’s knowledge of penetration testing in general, but specifically, with the operating systems of Unix, Linux, and Windows. The aspects of wireless security and web application exploitation are explored. This certification is valid for four years due to rapid development in technology.
- GIAC Certified penetration tester (GPEN)
The GPEN certification covers technical topics of ethical hacking and penetration testing. However, this certification also provides a legal perspective to the candidate on pen testing, which is useful while dealing with industry clients.
- Offensive security certified professional (OSCP)
The OSCP exam consists of a real-world scenario. The candidate is given 24 hours to examine the given situation. The candidate has to gather network information and submit a detailed summary. Points are awarded based on the difficulty of the vulnerability you find. It is considered a difficult certification exam.
How Can Certification Help You?
Organizations prefer candidates who have acquired industry-standard certifications in the domain of penetration testing, ethical hacking, and other aspects of cybersecurity. It helps candidates stand out while applying for a job. Certifications require pen testing developers to apply the concepts and deliver a hands-on experience that is essential for their role. Certifications also help developers to build a solid base for fundamentals in this domain.
Skuad can help you hire certified and experienced pen testing developers from all over the world based on your hiring requirements, whether freelance, full-time, or contract. Talk to us to learn more.
- The role of a pen testing developer is to identify vulnerabilities, security loopholes, threats, and risks in the current software, network, and applications of the organization.
- The fundamental types of penetration testing are white box testing, black box testing, and grey box testing.
- Certifications enable the candidate to strengthen their fundamentals and become industry-ready.
- The cybersecurity space is changing dynamically with each passing day and new techniques and tools are being added; thus, developers have to constantly update their knowledge to keep up with the latest trends and techniques.
Skuad’s bespoke solutions can take over the selection process in hiring pen testing developers for you. To learn more, book a demo with us.
Conclusion: Why Skuad?
Skuad is an integrated, global human resource (HR) platform that helps you create and manage remote teams by hiring talent from across 150 countries. Now, you don’t need to go through the hassle of maintaining payrolls of employees, contracts, compliances, and benefits.
As an Employer of Record (EOR) service, we can act as your company’s legal employer in the country of your choice and take care of all your hiring needs, including those for pen testing developers. We can manage the day-to-day operations related to your overseas employees, from selecting to onboarding, invoicing, compliances, and taxation. We offer the best services to various sectors, as follows.
- Logistics and transport
- Retail and e-commerce
To avail yourself of our expert services, book a demo with Skuad today.