Learn more about PLSQL
PLSQL is one block-structured language with which a developer can combine SQL with procedural statements. The significant advantage of this system is that all the statements are passed to the Oracle engine, decreasing traffic and increasing processing speed.
- This procedural language can provide many functions such as decision making and iteration all at once.
- In just one block, using a single command, several queries can be executed by PLSQL.
- Units of procedures, packages, triggers, functions, and types are all stored for reuse in the database.
- Another fascinating feature of PLSQL is the exception handling block which enables handling of occurring exceptional functions.
- Functions of PLSQL are very portable with computer operating systems (hardware) with Oracle present in it.
- Lastly, it also provides extensive checking of errors.
Important features of PLSQL
This procedural extension programming language has various important features such as error handling mechanism, high-performance, high security, and reduced network traffic.
- It is a portable, high-performance process language that provides an OS-independent programming environment.
- PLSQL is one high-performance transaction-processing language.
- With PLSQL, the codes can be reused, which will save time by eliminating codes repeatedly.
- Error detection and handling by this programming language are done in a user-friendly manner.
- The language also consists of conditional statements and loop statements that are difficult to understand and make the task even easier.
- The language has blocks of codes that can be nested internally and amongst each other. All the blocks have specific functionality that aids in the construction of specific logical modules.
- With the Oracle engine, simultaneous processing of multiple SQL statements as one single block is possible. This increases performance and reduces network traffic.
- Applications written within PLSQL are portable with any operating system.
Roles and responsibilities of a PLSQL developer
A PLSQL developer's core responsibility is managing and designing PLSQL packages' network interface as per the specification mentioned by the businesses. This excellent technical background for creating an efficient database with optimal infrastructure is required. Their responsibility is also to carry out multiple quality assessments to check the system's stability before releasing the final output. The developers are also involved in creating instructional manuals and guides highlighting the troubleshooting issues. A few technical responsibilities of PLSQL developers to mention are: -
- The PLSQL developer’s responsibility is to upgrade the existing packages by enhancing their features and resolving possible delays and downtime issues.
- They also must manage DB links, tables, indexes, and privileges.
- They also must coordinate with DBA to create and manage tables, indexes, quality checks, and auditing the system.
- To manage various versions of the procedures and functions of the applications with the aid of subversion tools is also the responsibility of a PLSQL developer.
- They also are responsible for accomplishing complex financial calculations by coordinating with Java developers.
- They are also required to install and deploy several Linux servers and assist in project support by engaging in data mapping and testing.
- A PLSQL developer also must work on old scripts and develop new ones in Linux to provide functionalities similar to Unix.
- They also must maintain and develop present codes according to new customer requirements and develop load processes. They also must modify data migration scripts and complex database triggers.
- The developer also needs to improve satellite installation efficiency by migrating legacy Java code for computing.
- Improvising back-end communication by developing SQL statements, maintaining, and modifying SQL server installation, and optimizing and developing a framework for extensible automated production support in PLSQL are all developer responsibilities.
- Lastly, they also need to extract and migrate client data from DB files and text format to the production database.
To conclude, a developer needs to be creative and use his thinking process to solve tasks uniquely. They should have analytical skills, which will help them gather information and integrate them to find the best logical conclusions. Lastly, communication skills are also vital so that the developer can express his thoughts and opinions clearly to his clients and his teammates.
Salary of a PLSQL developer
PLSQL developers, on average, are paid higher than any other jobs out there. The market demand is extremely high, and opportunities are increasing exponentially for skilled developers. In India, a skilled Oracle PLSQL developer is paid around US $11,000 (Rs. 8 lakhs) per annum just initially, which is a good package to start one's career with. The average annual salary of a PLSQL developer is US $82,214 per year, and the pay range is between US $65,000 to US $103,000. Most of the developers are employed in a few financial and tech companies. Apart from this, many developers get insurance, health care benefits, and much more from their employed companies. In the USA alone, the PLSQL developers from California, Washington, Virginia, New Jersey, and New York are reported to have the highest salaries in the world.
Some of the highest paying companies for PLSQL developers are TEK Systems and Arrow electronics. Apart from this, companies like Randstad North America, Rxadvance also pay the developers a good amount.
Freelancing and contractual basis work
Many emerging IT companies in dire need of PLSQL developers also work on a contractual basis with developers. A PLQSL developer who does not want a permanent job can work as a freelancer for several companies and put forth attractive prices to them. Freelancers and developers working on a contractual basis will also build their brand image. The timings will be flexible, and there will be less burden on the developer. Apart from this, several business opportunities will be there not just for the company but also for the developers working as freelancers. With various marketing strategies, a developer can build his market image in the best possible manner.
Certification as PLSQL developer
A few platforms have come up with exciting and affordable certified courses in PLSQL procedural language development. Many of these courses come with challenges to be solved by the learner in highly creative and unique ways. Also, many end up with good internship opportunities adding to their resume and increasing their chances of being hired by the best company out there.
Around 53,486 companies are present out there that are using PLSQL procedural language, and many of these are US-based companies. When PLSQL was freshly launched in the market, the average user company reported around one million-to-10-million-dollar revenue. Now 45% of the companies using PLSQL are based in the USA, 7% are based in India, and around 5% are based in the UK. Many of these big companies employ 1000+ developers every year, and the market is surprisingly increasing even more. Vacancies for skilled PLSQL developers are increasing, even more, reporting a dire need for skilled developers. So, if a person wants to have a promising career, he should go for this programming language.
The Skuad solution caters to various sectors — Edutech, Fintech, Healthcare, Logistics & Transport, Retail & Ecommerce, Travel, Banking, Media, and more. From selecting to onboarding, invoicing, compliances, and taxation, we act as your local HR to manage the day-to-day operations related to your overseas employees.
Talk to Skuad today!