Selenium is used for automating web browsers as an open-source tool. Like Java, Nodejs, Ruby, PHP, Python, and C# Selenium assist in writing test scripts in the programming language, the execution of test scripts is done on a browser in the user drive with the help of a browser driver. Selenium is a portable framework used widely for testing web applications. Selenium runs functional tests independent of the test scripting language. Automation of web browsers is the best-known use of Selenium as it is popular for enabling rapid, repeatable web-app testing. This feature allows developers and engineers to ship the latest releases efficiently.
Numerous hours were previously spent testing a web application to ensure its functionality, maintenance, and development. The testing was manual and required running various test cases on all marked browsers, pinpointing the host source of breakage, etc. The whole process could take days to weeks to be completed. However, with Selenium in the picture, all extended processes have been condensed into simple steps.
Today’s developmental technologies execute in shorter time frames and ship new, bug-free releases providing instant feedback in deterministic, repeatable, and efficient testing. Selenium is integral to that developmental technology as it fits within a well-worked out, fast-paced development pipeline in use today.
Selenium is popular because of the record and playback testing of web applications that can run multiple scripts across many browsers. Most programming languages like Ruby, Java, Nodejs, PHP, etc., are available on a single interface in Selenium to easily write and run test scripts.
Who uses Selenium?
According to Enlyft.com, over 53,000 companies use Selenium. These companies are dominant in the Computer Software Industry of the United States. Selenium is applicable on different browsers, including Chrome, Mozilla, Firefox, Safari, and IE. Such compatibility enables automated browser testing throughout these browsers with the help of Selenium WebDriver. The whole process becomes easy and efficient. According to stackshare.com, 1301 companies reportedly use Selenium in their tech stacks. These include Delivery Hero, Bitpanda, Accenture, Alibaba Travels, CRED, Trivago, etc.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
Components of Selenium
Selenium consists of four major components that a developer or a software engineer must work with. It is a strong tool that controls web browsers via program and is functional on all web browsers and all major OS. The components together constitute a selenium suite.
- Selenium IDE (Integrated Development Environment): IDE is an important component in the Selenium suite. It provides an integrated environment to run tests efficiently. The user can execute IDE with browser tools such as chrome extensions and as an add-on on Firefox. IDE provides a perfect environment for carrying out tasks such as recording, editing, and debugging tests. Selenese is the automatically recorded and user-edited testing script language of IDE, and it helps to provide automated finishing support. The user can, thus, move commands quickly.
- Selenium Remote Control (RC): Essentially a server script in Java, RC allows the user to accept instructions via HTTP for a browser application because the Selenium RC schedules and runs automated tests in various programming languages that are typed out/coded for web applications. Selenium thus provides a framework where integration of test units happens within Selenium efficiently. The Selenium project co-operates with tools such as PHP, Python, Ruby, .NET, Perl, and Java to make writing tests easy, quick, and efficient.
- Selenium WebDriver: Selenium web driver is useful in directing commands/instructions to a browser as it accepts them via client API; this requires the command’s script to be in Selenese. Implementation of the commands is done through specific browser drives. The browser drive is responsible for sending in commands in Selenese and receiving deliverables. Since the browser opens directly, no extra server is required for the execution of tests.
- Selenium Grid: It is a server that makes it possible to test internet browsers that sometimes run on the computers located remotely. Selenium Grid makes it possible for a server to be used as a central point. Tests communicate with the center to gain access to cases from the program. The central point has a summary related to servers allowing for program appearances; these are called the WebDriver hubs, and then tests use these examples. Selenium Grid enables you to carry out tests on several machines in the same way and to monitor different program variants and program settings in the middle (and not for every single test).
Roles and Responsibilities
Selenium developers are the runners of the software. They analyze, compute, and maintain business requirements to determine and assess test strategies to be covered by testing automation. They also develop the software test scripts and have thorough knowledge and experience of Selenium components. In a company framework, their responsibilities include:
- Design and Development: Collaboratively work with the design and development team members to resolve identified issues/bugs within deadlines. Responsible for developing new test scripts, carrying out test automation on new or existing software, and working on QA analysis to find solutions.
- Application of testing knowledge: Applying the functionality knowledge and understanding to determine the impacted testing areas and constructing the relevant regression testing scope, plan, and timelines.
- Efficient Bug Fixes: Cooperation with team members to solve identified bug issues. Using knowledge and understanding to identify impacted areas and provide relevant regression testing scope, plan, and timelines.
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, math, or a technical field is essential. Any work experience is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Selenium Web driver API.
- Experience in running test scripts.
- Knowledge of Apache POI API for reading, writing, and comprehension of data to excel.
- Experience in Log4j logging Utility for logging purposes in development.
- Experience in IDE: Preferably Eclipse.
- Demonstrable experience in Version Control such as GIT or SVN.
- Knowledge of Testing Frameworks like TestNG or JUnit.
- Proficient in CI Tool usage like Jenkins.
- Build Tools knowledge and experience such as ANT and Maven.
- Hold a good understanding of behavior-driven testing tools like Concordion, JDave, JBehave, Easyb, Cucumber.
- Experience and practical knowledge of parallel test execution systems in a virtualized environment.
Maintaining proficiency in a particular area of the product. Flexibility to work in a Tight Schedule under pressure. Understanding dynamics in a team setup. Have skills in conflict resolution if required. Attention to detail and time-management skills. Excellent communication skills to work inter-departmentally.
Skuad can help you hire certified and experienced Selenium Developers from all over the world based on your hiring requirements, be it freelance, full-time, or contract.
Selenium has established itself as one of the top choices for developers in the software industry for automated testing. According to BusinessWire, Selenium has reported about 300 percent growth in the job market in a span of three years. According to ZipRecruiter, a Selenium tester garners a salary of $92,321 to $118,500 on an average in the US. Developer’s income from construction, execution, running, and maintaining the test scripts with thorough knowledge of the Selenium components can range from $125,224 to $170,000 in the United States
Freelancing and Contractual basis work
Working as a freelancer or on a contractual basis is a highly popular choice amongst Selenium developers. Leading companies are always interested in outsourcing the work of Selenium development on a freelancing or contractual basis. This allows them to avail themselves of the services of experienced professionals at a fraction of the cost compared to an in-house employee. Experienced Selenium developers can also earn considerably more as they would otherwise earn as full-time employees, for they have the freedom to take up as many projects as they like.
Verified certificates make developers master the Selenium suite completely. The Selenium Training is developed and designed to educate developers and manual testers to grab hands-on skills and practical knowledge to automate web applications with an efficient framework. Developers are also trained to integrate the framework within the DevOps channels and processes of an organization. A variety of portals available online provide expert-level and advanced training in Selenium. The course structure covers topics TestNG, Selenium IDE, Selenium Grid, XPath, and more. Courses are comprehensive and guided stepwise to include verified and trusted certifications to Industry-Wide Standards and Industry Experts.
Skuad unified employment platform caters to various sectors — Edutech, Fintech, Healthcare, Logistics & Transport, Retail & Ecommerce, Travel, Banking, Media, and more. From selecting to onboarding, invoicing, compliances, and taxation, we act as your local HR to manage the day-to-day operations related to your overseas employees.
Talk to Skuad experts today!