Hire Software Engineers
Software Engineering developers are often specialists in developing software for companies where they work. Depending on the needs of the firm or company, companies hire software engineering developers, who are often specialists in developing mobile, desktop, web, and cloud-based applications. Companies that hire software engineering developers must keep in mind certain skills while hiring.
Software engineers and developers are responsible for designing, developing, maintaining, modifying, and debugging software. They must also possess profound knowledge of Database Management System (DBMS), networking, operating systems, etc. For the past few decades, software engineering developers have been in constant demand, primarily due to the growing use of apps in all verticals. So, companies need to be very specific to hire software engineering developers because it has a broad spectrum of diverse verticals like frameworks, programming efficiency, languages, integrations, etc. According to some reports, employment for software engineering developers will grow approximately 21% from 2020 to 2028. A report also says that 57 percent of IT companies target mainly software development as their core business growth.
There are four main types of software engineering.
- web developers,
- systems developers,
- mobile developers, and
- test automation developers.
New players and professionals specialize themselves in any one of the mentioned areas. Starting as junior software engineering developers or software developer interns, they progress to senior software engineer developers and to software architects.
Software Development Technologies and Concepts
- Data structure and algorithms: A software engineer with good development skills ought to know Data Structure and Algorithms well. It is one of the most recommended domains for software engineering developers. Without the proper knowledge of data structure concepts like arrays, linked lists, searching, sorting, maps, time & space complexity, etc., you won't stand a chance in any software development role. For solving real-world problems efficiently through applications, data structure plays a significant role. So, if you are planning to hire software engineering developers, provide them with problems to solve that demand an understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Text editors and IDEs: Text editors and IDEs are the most vital tool used by every programmer to write and execute their code. Text editors are computer programs that allow software engineers and developers to write, edit, update and save the code in plain text. Modern IDE comes with color-coding and IntelliSense to effectively make the programmer write code. Some recommended text editors are Sublime, Atom, Notepad++, Vim, Brackets, Notepad, etc. Integrated Development Environments are critical tools that programmers love to use. IDEs leverage comprehensive abilities to write code, debug, analyze, build, etc. They also come with color-coding, dynamic parsing, syntax analyzing, and IntelliSense techniques. Some popular IDEs are Eclipse, MS. Visual Studio Code, Spyder, IntelliJ IDEA, Xcode, IDLE, Android Studio, PhpStorm, PyCharm, etc. Therefore, software engineering developers should have a decent idea of using IDEs and text editors.
- Version control or Source Control systems: Most companies design modern applications by a team rather than an individual. Each of the members edits the code to the best of their knowledge. So, keeping the older version of the code is also essential to keep track of the past changes. Source control systems are a division of software tools that tracks the overall changes made throughout the development. These tools allow other members or collaborators to contribute to the software development without any geographical barrier. Version control systems allow efficient communicating and managing of the source code by keeping track of all the changes made so far. Therefore, to hire software engineering developers, check whether the developer has practical knowledge in using version control systems. Developers can use Git as a version control system to get a fair idea of using such tools. Other popular version control systems are Apache Subversion, Perforce, Mercurial, Darcs, etc.
- UI/UX developers: Software development engineers with profound skills in UI/UX development can apply interactive and visual design principles. It makes web applications and desktop applications more expressive for a cohesive user experience. UI/UX tools like event-driven programming having buttons, menus, and other designing tools like HTML, CSS, Bootstrap to provide a visually appealing and responsive web experience.
- Database, SQL, and NoSQL: Having a sound understanding of database concepts is essential to get a job as a software engineering developer. Fundamental database concepts like keys, table design, normalization, CRUD operations, etc., are significant for software engineers to know. Knowing advanced concepts like aggregate functions and joins is also necessary to work as a backend software developer. If the company deals with structured data - dealing with numbers and text, then proper knowledge of SQL is inevitable. Various database management systems are MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc. If the company deals with semi-structured and unstructured data, then having good knowledge of NoSQL is crucial. MongoDB, Cassandra, Amazon DynamoDB, CouchDB, HBASE, etc., are examples of NoSQL database systems.
- Use of Linux Kernel: Like other skills, Linux-based operating systems also have withstood the test of time. It's more than three decades that enterprises and firms have been working on Linux-based systems. Corporate servers and PCs often use Linux and Unix machines. Therefore, sound knowledge of Linux commands and using command-line tools help software engineering developers in the long run.
- Miscellaneous: If you wish to hire software engineering developers, verify whether the developers have a basic understanding of networking, cloud computing, containerization, API integration, frameworks, etc.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
Development Industries that hire Software Engineers
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) report, the demand for software engineering developers is growing by 22 percent. Another report revealed that companies are hiring both frontend and backend software engineering developers across different industries. This hiring rate is rising by 17 percent as compared to last year. Various development industries hiring software developers are HP, Amazon, Larsen & Toubro Infotech Limited, Goldman Sachs, Facebook, PayPal, Boeing, Dell Technologies, Flipkart, Google, Microsoft, Siemens Technology & Services Private Limited, Philips, Tesla, etc.
Hard skill Requirements:
Before you hire software engineering developers, you must keep a note on the following hard skills.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or IT with the following is preferable.
- Aware of the various software engineering approach
- Proficient in developing and deploying business software applications
- Appropriate knowledge of systems analysis and integration of multi-solution is necessary.
- Develop, optimize, and enhance in-house software development
- Sound understanding of API development especially, RESTful API
- A deep understanding of architecture and system designs is also necessary.
- The software engineering developer should know how to collaborate with technology & business counterparts as part of a global team.
- The developer should have profound experience with developing backend API in a data-driven environment.
- Significant experience in developing large scale, high-performance applications
- Proficient in coding in various development environments and platforms
- Experience with event-driven data pipes such as Kafka
- Proficiency in NoSQL databases
- Handle caching technologies like Redis Elasticsearch, MongoDB, etc.
- The software engineer should know how to develop software integration test scripts for verifying the exact implementation of high-level requirements.
- Analyze the source code for weaknesses, inefficiencies, and errors
- Knowledge of monitoring technologies like Ganglia, Nagios, etc., is essential sometimes.
- Hands-on experience with build automation technologies like Jenkins, Maven, etc., is also necessary sometimes.
Soft skill Requirements:
Here are some of the soft skills we must keep in mind before we hire software engineering developers.
- The candidate should have multitasking abilities.
- The candidate should have a proper collaborative mindset
- The candidate should have decent communication skills.
- Time management and adaptability are two plus points if a candidate can possess
- A problem-solving attitude is a plus point.
Developing applications nowadays demands much more than simply writing codes in the IDEs. Companies look for a cutting-edge software engineering development team. Various skills, frameworks, software development approaches are in demand in the market. Therefore, one must comprehend all the different requirements before hiring them.
Again, the need for market-ready software engineers is in demand and is growing at a rapid pace. Almost every IT company - irrespective of its size or goals, requires software developers at some point. Hence, it is crucial to hire the right software engineering developers for your enterprise. Skuad’s (skuad.io) solution is a tech-enriched HR platform that renders service for discovering and hiring talents and removes the hassle to create entities, manage taxes, and local laws while hiring new employees.