Web development is the process of developing a website on the internet or the intranet. It includes developing or creating a single static page with plain text or complex applications for the web. Web development also includes web designing, web engineering, web content development, and e-commerce. In simple words, web development refers to the part other than designing, which includes coding and writing markup.
Web development is performed by web developers who are skilled in computer coding languages and have the relevant educational background. Web development is performed in the background and is aimed to make the websites look good, be fast and provide the users with a great experience. Web development is one of the most highly demanded skills nowadays as more and more people are shifting their businesses online. This has led to a great demand for making websites, apps, and web pages.
Types of web development
If you want to hire a web developer, it is important to know the different types of web development and web developers. Web development is a vast discipline and it can be categorized into 3 different types - front-end, back-end, and Full Stack developers. This categorization has been done on the basis of the skill set of the web developer. Specifying the type of web developer you require while hiring can help you find only the most suitable candidates. Let’s look at them in detail.
A back-end developer is responsible for developing the part of a website that we cannot see. They ensure that the website is fast and works properly. They write the server-side code and ensure a proper flow of data from the front-end to the back-end. The example of an online store can help explain this. The prices and images of the products are saved on a database and are hosted on a server. At the time of price update, the price, images, and other product information gets updated on the database. This data then flows to the front-end and is displayed on the website. The process of online payment is also developed by a back-end developer. Some of the programming languages that a back-end developer should know are Java, PHP, Ruby, C#, and MySQL.
Full Stack developer
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
Roles and responsibilities of web developers
Web development is one of the most popular fields nowadays. Owing to the increasing presence of businesses on the internet, everyone needs a website. This has led to a massive increase in the requirement of web developers. If you are looking to hire web development developers, it is important for you to know the role they will play in your organization and what all responsibilities they should be given.
- Create websites and applications for the company and making sure that they run smoothly.
- Collaborate with other developers and the management of the company to fully understand their requirements and work accordingly.
- Present the website design specifications.
- Work with web designers and graphic designers.
- Manage the problems of the website and troubleshoot the problems as and when required.
- Responsible for managing the traffic on the company website.
- Check that the website’s capacity is updated from time to time depending on the traffic.
- Manage updates on the website and regularly update all the information present on the website.
- Stay up to date with the latest technology and think about ways it can benefit the company.
- Work together with the project manager and other people involved to ensure that the predetermined budgets, scope, and designs are met.
Experience required for a web developer
- Experience troubleshooting website issues.
- Experience working as a web developer either in the front-end, back-end, or full stack.
- Have hands-on experience working on programming languages such as Java, CSS, HTML, MySQL, etc.
- Experience developing websites.
- Experience working in a team.
Educational qualifications required for a web developer
Although web development does not require any specific degree or certificate, employers still prefer someone with a 4-year bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, such as B. Tech in computers, BCA, or a BSc. Web development requires a high level of skill set. Candidates having a degree generally display better knowledge in the field and are highly skilled. Also, candidates having certifications in other programming languages and having knowledge of multiple programming languages should be given preference over others.
Hiring a perfect candidate from amongst a large number of web developers is not an easy task. A candidate requires both hard skills and soft skills to be good at web development. Given below are a few skill sets that you should look for while hiring a web developer.
- Attention to detail: Coding is a very detail-oriented job. To be an efficient web developer the candidate should pay attention to details and be observant. Each line of a software code can significantly impact the function of the website
- Multitasking: The candidate should be able to multitask. They should be able to work on multiple projects at the same time and remember the details of each of them. They should also be able to handle multiple websites at a time and meet the deadlines.
- Self-starter and self-motivated: They should have inner motivation to work hard and perform well.
- Problem-solving skills: They are also responsible to manage the websites and solve the problems faced.
- Ability to work under pressure: A web developer needs to work under tight deadlines. They should be able to work efficiently under high pressure.
Web development is a highly skilled job and hence attracts attractive remuneration. Web developers able to develop and maintain user-friendly and attractive websites are in demand. Although the salary of a web developer varies depending on location, experience, skills, etc., the average salary of a web developer is around $69,430 per year.
What to look for while hiring a web developer?
- Knowledge of web development: They should have the required educational qualification, degree or diploma in computers, and the knowledge of developing websites.
- Experience: They should have some experience in coding and developing websites. Even if they’re a fresher, they should have done some personal projects and built some websites.
- Aptitude: You should test whether they have all the right skillsets for the job and whether they will be able to handle the roles and responsibilities of the job.
- Certification: You should give preference to the candidates who have acquired certifications in other programming languages and in related disciplines like web designing, app development, etc
Skuad is an HR platform that helps you create remote teams by hiring talent from across 150 countries. Now, you don't need to go through the hassle of maintaining payrolls of employees, contracts, compliances, and benefits — Skuad will take care of all that for you so you can focus on your business operations. It helps make HR management easier for industries. Skuad makes employee search, onboarding, training, and payroll management easier for you.
Talk to Skaud experts now!