Hire in Italy
Italy is amongst those nations in the world which provide excellent quality of life. It has an unemployment rate of 11.1 percent, with a population of around 60.3 million. Italy is famous for its creative and innovative businesses in the world. The country has numerous opportunities to offer in its global multinational corporations, small and medium-sized enterprises, industrial districts, manufacturing sector, and many more.
Italy serves over 500 million consumers around the globe with its various products and services. Serving such a huge population requires lots of workforces. This creates job opportunities for people all around the world. Italy is a beautiful place to live as it has excellent scenic beauty and a high standard of living.
Overview of Italy
Italy is the 3rd largest economy in the Eurozone and is ranked 8th largest on the world platform. This nation is the founding member of the Eurozone, the G7 and the OECD. It is the 6th largest manufacturing country and produces excellent luxury products. Italy has trade relations with the European Union, France, Germany, and the United States. Italy exports 11%, 12%, and 10% of its total production to France, Germany, and the United States, respectively.
Total population – 60.3 million
GDP – US $2.106 trillion (€ 1.77 trillion)
Italy has a capitalist economy which is majorly advanced. This nation has a nominal GDP of US $2.106 trillion (€ 1.77 trillion) with a per capita income of US $34,997 (€ 29,377.01). Its PPP GDP is US $2.610 trillion (€ 2.19 trillion) with its per capita income US $43,376 (€ 36,410.47). The employment opportunities in Italy emerge from the private as well as the public sector. 4.5 percent of the population of Italy is employed in the cooperative sector.
The Italian economy is famous for its creative businesses, which offer innovative solutions in various sectors. It has a booming agricultural sector with its wine production unit ranking to be the largest in the world. Along with these major successful sectors, the market of Italy is well known for its manufacturing, fashion, and automobile industries.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
A brief glimpse of the industries
- Agriculture is a major economic sector of Italy. The country uses a total of 12.7 million hectares of land for agriculture. Italy grows grains, olive trees, vineyards, citrus orchards, sugar beets and flowers. World-class agricultural techniques are in use and thus the demand for farmers and agriculturally skilled individuals for boosting the farming revenue in Italy.
- The energy sector of Italy boasts of some of the biggest companies in the world. Hydrocarbons are a major contributor to the GDP of Italy. Ever since the outbreak of COVID-19, the energy sector has seen a reduction in its revenue. But now, as the world is slowly back on the path of normalcy, a considerable rise in the economic outcomes and employment opportunities is estimated.
- Numerous technological parks have been established by the Science and Technology sector of Italy. It not only increases the exposure to the scientific world but also gives rise to tourism.
- Tourism has been a very important industry in Italy for decades and has beautiful scenic sites and amazing architecture. The authentic Italian food also sparks the tourists' interest. Being a booming sector, many opportunities are available in the travel sector.
Cost of living in Italy
Italy offers an exquisite quality of life. With great quality of life follows the huge bills. Italy is an expensive nation to live in. But it is all worth the money. Some locations offer cheaper services than the others. But most locations in Italy do not offer affordable cost of living. Rome and Milan cities are the perfect examples for this statement.
||Area of expense
||Electricity, Water, Heating, Internet services, Prepaid mobile tariff
||US $224.18 (€ 188.16)
||US $146.29 to US $402.34 (€ 122.79 to € 337.7)
Apartment (1 room) in city and outside city,
Apartment (2-3 rooms) In the city and outside the city.
US $614.05 (€ 515.39)
US $1,052.66 (€ 883.53)
US $357.43 to US $1,293.95 (€ 300 to € 1,086.06)
US $595.71 to US $2,933.47 (€ 500 to € 2,462.16)
||One way ticket local transport, Taxi tariff, Gasoline.
||US $41.70 (€ 35)
||US $35.74 to US $59.57 (€ 30 to € 50)
|Food and Beverage
||Grocery, Vegetables, Meat and Poultry
||US $178.71 (€ 150)
||US $142.97 to US $297.85 (€ 120 to € 250)
|Salaries and Financing
Average monthly net salary
US $31,981.29 (€ 26,843)
US $16,545.25 to US $47,716.37 (€ 13,887 to € 40,050)
1.20 to 3.00%
Cost of Renting
The average cost of renting in Italy is around US $800 for a one-person rental facility. The cost varies according to the area of the housing facility, number of occupants, sharing or non-sharing, available utilities, and amenities, etc. The lifestyle desired and the availability of location has a major effect on the cost of rent.
Cost of living depending upon your location
Allocation of resources in Italy is dependent on the locations. The metropolitan cities have a higher cost of living than any other cities. The cost of living in Italy has increased over the past decade, especially since the lockdown of COVID-19. Below is the distribution of a few cities in Italy based on their population and quality of life –
- Cities categorized as Tier 1 cities are metropolitan cities like Rome, Milan, Naples, Venice, etc.
- Cities categorized as Tier 2 cities are upcoming centers like Turin, Genoa, Messina, etc.
- Cities categorized as Tier 3 cities are locations with notable growth potential like Africo, etc.
Mentioned below are details regarding the cost of living in the leading Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities of Italy.
||(Cost of living) Euro
||(Cost of living)
The top sectors that are expected to hire in 2021 in Italy are: -
||Top Industries looking to hire
||Manufacturing and services industries
||Creative and design professionals
Top skills in Italy
Most opportunities in Italy are available in the private sector. It demands hard skills as well as soft skills such as good communication, teamwork, dedication, time management, etc.
Major skills and areas which have witnessed a recent growth rate
- Business services
- Distribution and transport
- Elementary teachers
Top skills city-wise occupation-wise
Italy is famous for its well-planned city infrastructure that renders different cities suitable for various types of economic activities.
- Rome – Rome is a major hotspot for tourists. Tourism industry offers many job opportunities to work in Rome. Along with that the fashion and technology industries play an important role in contributing to the city’s economy.
- Milan – Milan is more of a trade center. E-commerce, transportation, warehousing, retail, and sales are the main opportunities available. It is a beautiful city with a modern touch to it.
The cost of hiring is a mandatory expense for any sector. Spending this expense effectively is especially important. Below are some of the factors taken under consideration which demand the most cost of hiring –
- Onboarding and training cost
- Expenses involved with the interview process
- Time invested in the execution
- Opportunity costs
Salary structure for various roles
The table below highlights the average salaries that are offered to employees in Italy according to different sectors: -
||Average Annual Salary (AUD)
|Education and Training
||US $55,329.54 (€ 46,440)
||US $56,902.22 (€ 47,760)
|Transport, Postal, Warehousing
||US $9,165.83 (€ 7,693.20)
|Accommodation, Cafes and Restaurants
||US $13,153.28 (€ 11,040)
||US $56,902.22 (€ 47,760)
||US $35,742.60 (€ 30,000)
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
||US $69,912.53 (€ 58,680)
|Financial and Insurance Services
||US $44,991.59 (€ 37,763)
|Information Media and Telecommunications
||US $55,367.67 (€ 46,472)
||US $30,833.95 (€ 25,880)
||US $24,884.00 (€ 20,886)
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services
||US $51,198.89 (€ 42,973)
|Arts and Recreation Services
||US $42,605.18 (€ 35,760)
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services
||US $12,579.01 (€ 10,558)
|Administrative and Support Services
||US $28,880.02 (€ 24,240)
|Health Care and Social Assistance
||US $25,734.67 (€ 21,600)
|Public Administration and Safety
||US $10,722.78 (€ 9,000)
||US $75,963.75 (€ 63,759)
Employment laws in Italy
Italy has a highly regulated employment system. Definition sections are formed which are responsible for drafting the employment laws and looking after their implementation.
- Hours of work
- Paid leave
- Maternity leave and maternity protection
- Minimum age and protection of young workers
The laws and regulations that govern the employment relationships in Italy are based upon
- European Community Acts and Regulations
- European Court of Justice
- Contract of employment
- Labor rights in the Constitution
Italy Remote Hiring Trends 2022
In 2022, there has been a strong lean toward working remotely. Digital technologies and automation are changing industries across the board. One country benefiting from these changes is Italy, one of the major workforces in the EU, with a large population of skilled talent looking for work.
Growth in Hiring Activity
In 2022, hiring activity is growing. This is due to the high demand for skills revolving around business, technology, and data science, according to a Coursera data report. Coursera’s Italian learners were 86 percent learning business skills, 84 percent learning technology skills, and 79 percent learning data science skills. If you are seeking talent for your business, Italian workers might be a great hiring pool for you.
Many jobs with the fastest-growing demand in Italy in 2022 involve technical knowledge. These jobs include:
- Software engineering
- Application development
- Technical engineering
- Network engineering
- Business analysis
Also in high demand in Italy are skills in hospitality, tourism, mathematics, sales, and digital marketing.
Top Companies Hiring in Italy 2022
Some of the top companies hiring in Italy right now include:
- Amazon (internet & web services)
- Accenture (business consulting)
- IBM (information technology support services)
- Microsoft (computer hardware development)
- Deloitte (accounting & tax)
Companies like these are considered some of Italy's best employers in 2022. This is because of how they treat their employees and how well their industry is faring amid 2022’s shift towards remote work positions. A major hiring trend is to have a recruitment strategy that caters to the employee experience.
How Can Skuad Help You with Hiring in Italy?
Conducting the recruitment processes in Italy is an extremely complicated task for any company as there are various steps involved with the task. As a result, you might end up investing considerable time and resources to complete the hiring and onboarding processes. With a click of a button, Skuad simplifies the hiring processes with its unified employment solution. Connect with Skuad to know more.