Hire in Sudan
With an estimated decline of 8.4% in the country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) due to the global pandemic, the effects are seen on commodity prices, travel, trade, and financial flows. Sudan's economy is believed to remain in recession in 2021 and is expected to bounce back with modest growth in 2022.
Although Covid-19 has shown adverse effects on Sudan's economy, many businesses still function smoothly due to the new age of working remotely. The swift changes are now adoptable, and the job market accelerated considering the current lockdown scenario. Hence, this has proven as a blessing for various markets such as freelancing, entry-level computer engineers, telecommunication, customer care, and much more.
Overview Of Sudan
Population: 43.8 million
Gross Domestic Product (GDP): USD 34.37 billion
Along with social and political uncertainties, the economy of Sudan was also marred by the Covid-19 pandemic experiencing social and economic changes. Though it is expected to improve by 2021 slightly, the restrictions on movement are still making the economic situation worse.
Sudan has a traditional economy where a more significant part of the population depends solely on agriculture employing 80% of the workforce and contributes to one-third of the country's GDP. With sectors such as agriculture, industrial, petroleum, mining, and tourism, the country's population participates in diverse work according to their skills. Thanks to remote working, the economy is still pretty decent considering the current scenario.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
A Brief Glimpse Of Industries In Sudan
- One of the major industries of Sudan that contributes to almost 40% of the country's Gross Domestic Product is agriculture. It employs more than 80% of the workforce and grows cotton, peanuts, gum arabic, and sesame seeds.
- The industrial sector of Sudan contributes to 7% of the country's total GDP. The rapid industrial development consists of electronics assembly, agricultural processing, furniture, tanning, sugar production, and much more. This is likely to provide a surge in employment opportunities for the working-age population in Sudan.
- The oil industry is an essential industry in Sudan that exports oil to countries like Japan, China, South Korea, Indonesia, and India.
- With the introduction of exploitable quantities of petroleum, the mining industry has become yet another significant industry in the Sudan economy.
- The average download speed in Sudan is 13.96Mbps, and the average upload speed is 7.44Mbps on mobile phones.
- The Sudan government is taking adequate steps to boost employment opportunities for the working-age population and introduce flexible employment terms.
Cost Of Living
The cost of living in a country can vary based on the city one is choosing to live in. One can find accommodation at moderate prices. Still, it depends on the size of the housing and the facilities. To give you a brief idea of what it looks like to live in Sudan, let's look at the table given below.
A brief breakdown of the cost of living in Sudan
||Area of Expenses
||Estimated monthly cost (USD)
||Hostels, pgs, flats, shared rooms
|Food and Beverages
||Household groceries and household help
||Taxi, buses, and trains
||Internet, water, electricity
Cost Of Renting
The average cost of renting in Sudan can be much higher than that of India. On average, one can expect an apartment with three bedrooms outside the city center to cost around USD 350.00 per month and inside the city center to cost around USD 548.22 per month. Also, it is heavily determined by the city you are choosing to live in and your living standards.
Top Sectors That Are Expected To Hire In Sudan
Here is the list of the top industries of Sudan that are expected to hire and engage in 2021 and the coming years.
- Agriculture - About 95% of Sudan’s exports comprise agricultural products. Around one-third of the country's total land is most suitable for agricultural practices giving rise to more people gravitating towards this industry. With modernization, the country is dependent on the modern way to irrigate.
- Tourism - Sudan has a rich history that attracts visitors from all around the globe to understand the period of ancient Egypt and the Sudanese Nubia. Therefore, the country's tourism sector gives immense employment opportunities for the working-age population, providing them with a good quality of life.
- Oil industry - Another significant industry that contributes to the country's GDP and is expected to hire professionals in the coming years is the oil industry of Sudan. Sudan is an oil exporter in India, South Korea, China, Japan, and Indonesia.
- Mining - Contributing to almost 1% of the country's GDP, mining is yet another critical industry that hires professionals and workers in Sudan. Furthermore, new opportunities are constantly introduced in the mining industry, creating job opportunities for professional workers.
Top Skills In Sudan
Sudan enjoys a mixed economy and has a vast diversity when it comes to employment opportunities for the country’s working-age population. Below, we have listed significant occupations and the skill set required to perform exceptionally well in the respective fields. So, let's dive in and have a look.
- Farming: Adaptability, interpersonal skills, tech-savvy, and time-management
- Hospitality: Multi-tasking, teamwork, industry awareness, and communication skills
- Mining: Analytical skills, technical skills, and problem-solving skills
- Management: Organizational skills, mentoring, and interpersonal skills
- Banking: Attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and leadership
Top Skills City-Wise Occupation-Wise In Sudan
||Sales and Retails
||Commercial awareness, time management, and communication skills
||IT skills, numerical skills, and analytical skills.
||Agriculture and Food Processing
||Farm management skills, organizational skills, and problem-solving skills.
||Artistic ability, creative flair, knowledge of color, texture, and fabric.
The cost of hiring is yet another factor that employers emphasize while onboarding a candidate, as it affects the overall decision drastically. It is heavily determined by factors such as the cost of living in the city, the total expenditure, and the city you reside in. We have mentioned some points that together determine the hiring cost below:
- Recruitment cost
- Opportunity cost
- Training cost
- Overall expenses made in the hiring process
The following table reflects the annual average salary drawn by employees of various sectors in Sudan:
||Average Gross Annual Salary in SDG (Sudanese Pound)
||Average Gross Annual Salary in USD
|Engineers and Technicians V
|Manufacturing Labour Workers
|Finance and Banking
|Health Care and Medical
|Accounting & Administration
|IT and Programming
|Education and University
|Management and Business
Employment Laws In Sudan
The government of Sudan makes regular amendments in the employment laws that will be proven beneficial for the employees and employers. Below, we have listed some major employment laws of Sudan.
- Employers should provide the contracts of apprenticeships to both parties during the period of training.
- Women cannot participate in hazardous occupations such as carrying weights, underground jobs, underwater jobs, or jobs that may expose them to temperatures exceeding normal limits.
- The working hours for women are 10 p.m. to 6 p.m. except in administrative and technical jobs or services related to healthcare.
- Regular working hours for everyone shall be 8 hours a day and 48 hours per week with one hour of paid rest in-between.
- The employers should draw the employment contract in writing with all the necessary information mentioned about the employee.
- In the case of an illiterate worker, the employer should read the contract in the presence of a witness chosen by the employee.
- Employers should pay the wages in cash. However, allowances such as food, shelter, transportation will be counted as wages in kind.
- Four weeks maternity leave before the due date and four weeks after with full pay.
How Can Skuad Help With Hiring in Sudan?
Hiring in Sudan is a multi-faceted task that requires an in-depth knowledge of the employment laws in Sudan, cost of hiring, cost of living, salary structure of various positions, and most importantly, the area you are living in. The Skuad Employer of record solution enables organizations to employ skilled professionals. Its unified employment platform handles every minute aspect of recruitment, from selection to onboarding to compliance and taxation, to ensure that you focus on more essential areas without hiring stress. Get in touch with Skuad today to hire in Sudan.