Building a website is not an easy task, even though numerous website builder tools are available in the market. Many people choose to rely on such tools for a code-free, drag-and-drop website development process. However, a dedicated website can only be built with the help of a professional web developer.
Fortunately, hiring a web developer is not rocket science!
A full-fledged business needs an expert to empower the organization and recognize the values and principles which is impossible for the software to fathom. If you still decide to use it, know for a fact that in the future, you will have to hire a developer to customize the site as per the latest trends and your company's growth scale.
The global market is getting competitive with each passing day, estimating more than a billion global digital buyers. It implies that if you don't have a website, your company's growth will eventually subside.
There are millions of web developers waiting for opportunities to work with you. But do you have an idea of the criteria that you must follow to acquire the right talent?
Here is a guide to hiring a web developer who is the perfect fit for your company!
Preparation before the Hiring Process
Before indulging in the hiring process, you must outline the foundation work. Narrow down your need for hiring a web developer and the role they will play in the company.
In the past, a web developer’s role was strictly limited to a website. But that's not the case anymore. While CMS like WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla will enable you to build a website, services like Wix even lets you cover the designer’s role. So, why do you need to hire a dedicated web developer?
Take the time to specify your business challenges and create a draft for the project, especially the size and the goals. Any website development project can take three routes, a simple website, medium-scale projects, and large-size web platforms.
Based on the project size, your choice of a developer can vary. Furthermore, if you are looking to hire an additional member of your team, make sure to ask the senior developers about what kind of role they require to be filled.
Hiring an additional member in the team can also take another shape if you are looking for someone for a temporary period. In that case, hiring a freelance web developer can be a better choice than hiring someone on a full-time basis.
Getting the correct answer to these questions is essential because it will help you go in the right direction.
Apart from this, it can also help with:
- Saving a significant amount of time
- Overseeing the technical bits of the website
- Modifying the website as per requirement
- Handling complex projects
- Adoption of new technology
- Increasing the project’s credibility
If you are still not convinced, let's talk about some facts:
- Source code of the website affects the SEO rank.
- The lifespan of a website is only three years.
- More than 75% of users form an opinion about a company by looking at the website.
- Using online tools increases the vulnerability of your website.
Ask the Requisites for the Role
It is the first step to identify your need for a web developer. Ask whether you need someone to build a site from scratch or modify the existing website.
Unless you specify the business challenges, project size, and goals, it'll be hard to guide the hiring manager in the prospect search. Narrow down the needs for the web development project from below:
- A simple web project consists of a standard site design and integration of conventional features like contact form, CTA button, template design, subscription button, etc.
- Medium web projects consist of developing static or dynamic web applications, stores, and other service integrations such as CMS, databases, APIs, chatbots, and others.
- Big-scale projects that encapsulate video-sharing social media platform integration or many sophisticated technologies or cloud hosting server integration mostly need a skilled developer.
You might want to expand the project scope, and the role and responsibility will vary accordingly. While you are accounting for the above factors, three cases need a professional.
The first requirement is building a project from scratch. The second is to extend the in-house team by adding a specialist. And the third one is that you want to start utilizing a new technology to improve the existing skills of your in-house development team.
Specify the Skills of the Web Developer
Web developers are categorized according to their role as front-end, back-end, and full-stack developers. Let’s understand the difference between knowledge, activities, and skills.
Focusing on a broad spectrum of skills is the right approach to begin the search. The more skills a developer has, the better it will be for the organization to appoint tasks. Hence, the next step for hiring would be assessing the candidates interviewing for the role.
These are the technical skills that you must look at while hiring a web developer.
But that is not the only thing to look at. A technically sound person should also address other aspects of the job pertaining to soft skills, decision-making abilities, adaptability, and rational thinking.
You can broadly look at the following qualities:
Communication is essential to ensure that the entire team is on the same page. If there is a continuous flow of dialogue between the team members, it will lead to fewer misunderstandings.
Web development projects are not as simple as they look. They take a lot of effort and the collective intelligence of the team to complete the project. So, if the new hire cannot play well with the team, the project will suffer.
Being proactive in what the team members do and work with helps build a better and user-oriented product. Every part of the decision has to be approached with complete objectivity and technical expertise. So, an active member of the team will play an essential role in constructive feedback and appropriate thought sharing.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
Candidate Assessment and Interview
Unless the objective of hiring is clear, narrowing down the final prospects will be difficult. So, start by eliminating the wrong candidates from the hiring process. Create a job description that defines the role and responsibilities you’ll appoint to the individuals in the future.
It will save the upfront time, and the knowledge of the work extent will allow the candidates to approach the role cautiously. The clarity of role will help the hiring managers to accomplish the goal more precisely.
Decide if you are looking for a freelance developer or a full-time employee. It mainly depends on the details and budget of the project. If there is a one-time requirement, you better hire a freelancer and agree on the project’s time frame, delivery, and price.
They will deliver the site, and you can take over after that. Moreover, you can contact them again if need be. In many arrangements for static websites that don't need regular upkeep, this is the ideal approach.
In contrast, if you are hiring for a long-term project and need someone to take care of the site, hiring a full-time web developer is the right decision. It is vital while building a complex site that needs plenty of hands-on work and needs frequent updates.
A platform like Skuad enables you to build a team of full-time web developers and contractors based on your requirements.
Check the Web Developer's Expertise
Evaluate the developer to ensure that they can fit into your in-house team and cope with the essential requirements for the upcoming projects. The hiring personnel can check the team’s portfolio to find out how the previous projects were managed. Test for soft skills like:
- Communication is vital to design and develop a website as it will serve as the medium between customers and the company.
- Teamwork is a significant skill to work as a developer, especially in large and complex projects. It involves working alongside designers, project managers, business analysts, QA managers, and others.
- Proactiveness will reflect how much the individual is willing to participate in technological solutions by giving feedback, sharing thoughts, and suggesting improvements during the development cycle.
- The approachability, helpfulness, and supporting nature of a web developer also validate their skill as others communicate with them to resolve their doubts. Building a rapport that a person can cooperate with the team will make them favorable for the job.
Apart from the soft skills of the individuals, check more role-specific aspects of the candidate's profile:
- Technical requirements are mentioned in the table for the role of front-end, back-end, and full-stack developer.
- Previous project history checks the work and its specification to understand the individual’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Experience is a crucial factor in determining the candidates' adeptness and analyzing what their growth curve in the industry should look like.
- Tests help examine the skills of a web developer. You can give them the most common Dice Challenge for a front-end developer where the candidate has to draw the dice using HTML/CSS. For a back-end or full-stack developer, you need to present the full scope of the project.
Hire Web Developers With Skuad
With these numerous things to take care of, we can understand that you will spend a lot of time and energy seeking the ideal candidate for the role. But what if we told you that you could skip to the end part and leave all the time-consuming and intricate tasks to us?
With Skuad, you can find professional web developers based on your requirements. Whether you need a freelancer, full-time, or contract-based employee, we make it possible to assess their skills.
We connect the IT industry experts and fit them in the talent pool category according to their knowledge, experience, and expected payouts. All the web developers on our platform are pre-vetted and certified by our experts.
It is our prerogative to help you onboard the ideal candidate conducive to your organizational processes and procedures. Such factors make it easier for organizations to select the talent with a preferable profile and get them onboard.
We understand that every team and organization has a different culture and a person who can be a part of that culture is like hitting the lotto.
Once we share the list of the shortlisted candidates, you can start with the interview and let us know your decision. Skuad will also help you with onboarding the person in your organization to focus on your work!