Hire software developers
Software development is creating, designing, deploying, and supporting computer software by doing a group of programming and computer science activities. With rapidly increasing enterprise data and growing needs for automation of businesses, there is an increasing demand for software development. As a result, the market share for global business software and solutions was estimated at $389.86 billion in 2020, with an annual CAGR of 11.3%.
A significant increase in the deployment of software and solutions across the globe is required for better strategic planning, decision-making, enhancing profitability, and improving a business's market position. Considering such an overwhelming increase in the need for software development by various industries results in the need for software development developers.
Moreover, the pandemic outbreak has led to more positive impacts on the software and services market. According to a research report by the International Data Group, IDG, adoption of the work-from-home model leads to increased demand for value-added software solutions.
What are the different software's that developers need to work on?
As per the definition of software from IBM, it is a set of instructions that commands a computer on what to do. It is independent of the hardware it is used on. The three basic types of software a developer would be working on are:
1. System Software: The system software provides core functions such as operating systems, disk management, utilities, hardware management, and operational uses.
2. Programming software: This kind of software gives programmers their basic tools, for instance, text editors, compilers, debuggers, and more, to create the code.
3. Application Software: The third kind of software is application software or apps to aid people in their usual tasks. The apps could be dedicated to streamlining office productivity or data management. These apps can also be differentiated into web and mobile applications based on the platform they are being used at.
Read more: Hiring remote twitter API developers
4. Embedded Software: A fourth kind of software that software development developers may encounter is embedded software. This software is used to control machines and devices that are typically not considered computers.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
Types of Software Development
Based on sector
Based on the sector a software works in, the market is segmented into finance, sales and marketing, human resource, supply chain. The financial market has the largest share, of over 20% in 2020, followed by human resources and marketing.
Based on service
Another kind of segmentation of the software development market is based on the service they provide. For instance, these can be divided into managed services, consulting, support and maintenance. Of these, the highest share constitutes the support and maintenance services.
Based on Deployment
Based on Deployment, software solutions can be further segmented into cloud and on-premise software.
Based on Development
Though on-shore and off-shore development are commonly practiced approaches for software development, distributed development is the way forward given the push to reduce turnaround time for hiring software developers anywhere in the world.
What does a software developer do?
Software developers are closely involved with specific project areas, especially writing codes. Along with that, they are responsible for driving the overall software development cycle. This includes working across functional teams to accomplish the journey from requirements to features and managing the processes alongside. An ideal software development developer also needs to conduct regular testing and maintenance checks to keep the product updated.
Two distinctive types of software development are custom software development and commercial software development. As the name suggests, custom software development is the process of creating, designing, deploying, and maintaining software for a niche-specific audience, most typically an organization or users. However, commercial software is used by masses, covering a broad set of requirements, and hence is commercially marketed and distributed.
Tools and Technologies
1. IDE- IDE or Integrated Development Environment helps edit, debug and run the source code. These help programmers to put together the different aspects and elements of a code or a computer program. They increase efficiency by quickening the process and help in editing, building executables, and debugging. Some of the most preferred IDE tools that a software developer needs to focus on are mentioned here.
2. Frameworks- These tools are used to build or develop the basic software application. A framework is a collection of libraries that have defined open and unimplemented function objects. A framework is an application that has a wide scope to make a user application as per the client's requirements. Some of the key frameworks that software developers work on are:
- Expression Studio
- HTML5 Builder
3. Data Science Tools – These tools provide you with detailed analytics to enhance your software application. A data science toolkit is a list of functions /modules/packages that can help software developers solve a problem. Here are the top data science tools that a software developer should know about:
- Data Studio
4. Cloud Tools- Another important tool for software development is working on the cloud to build software applications quickly. Here are some of the tools that developers need to focus on:
5. Source Control Tools- These tools offer streamlined management of your source code to ease the handling of your projects. An SCM or Source Control Management tool helps run a history of code development to resolve conflicts when merging from multiple sources. Here are some of the most important source control tools that software developers use:
6. Prototyping Tools- These tools create software prototypes and allow a software developer to develop reports, screens, and forms to have a complete information system. Through these tools, developers can have valuable feedback and deliver a better product. One of the best prototyping tools that software developers rely on is:
7. DevOps Tools- DevOps or Development and Operation is a set list of practices that enhance an organizational ability to deliver services faster. These tools aid in managing and automating the deployment process. One of the high performing DevOps tools is mentioned here:
8. UML Tools – UML tools support the work associated with the Unified Modeling Language, majorly around semantics. These are majorly used for efficient documentation. Here is one of the tools that software developers should keep their focus on:
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work on the front-end, back-end, Dev-Ops, mobile application development, and machine learning.
- Build reusable codes and libraries
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Design and develop a simulation product with different platforms and languages as the foundation.
- Collaborate with other team members, including system analysts, to design systems and get more information on project limitations, performance requirements, and interfaces.
- Attend meet-ups with clients to discuss the design and maintenance requirements.
- Obtain an evaluated analysis based on set reporting formats, related costs, and security
- Determine system performance standards
- Participate actively in agile, cross-functional team aspects (development, UX, product management)
- Seek consensus on ideas and work with the team to build apt solutions.A strong advocate for the product in discussions with other groups
- A strong advocate for the product in discussions with other groups
- Contribute ideas and effort to ongoing quality improvements
- Contribute to finalization and productization efforts
- Provide direct user support as per requirements.
- Regular learning and application of new tools, technologies, and best industry practices
- Specify necessary power supply and other configurational requirements, as may apply.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in C# or Java
- Skilled in high and low-level architecture, including Object Oriented design concepts
- Skilled in Data Structures and Algorithms
- Knowledge of source control to store and manage the code
- Experience in text editors like Sublime Text, Atom, Brackets, Visual Code, etc.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Driven to see tasks through to completion
- Innovative thinking and troubleshooting skills
- Attention to detail and good research skills
- Maintaining accuracy in design and documentation
- Ability to follow necessary protocols and established procedures
- Good judgment and a practical understanding of challenges
- Productive multitasking while meeting deadlines
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Efficient Sprint project management
A software developer earns a wide range of salary, based on their location, demand, skillset, and experience level. However, the bracket is between $52k and $114k, with an average of $72,192 annually. In other countries like Canada, the amount goes to C# 71000 and 4.6 million yen in Japan.
Many industries and companies of different sizes hire software development developers, ranging from Silicon Valley to smaller start-ups. As for sectors, Retail and Healthcare are the most promising sectors for software development, followed by business operations and research/development.
Talk to Skuad Experts Today