Greece is not just known for its ancient history and mythologies but also its 18 World Heritages. It is called the cradle of western civilization. According to Greeka, In the European Union (EU), Greece's economy is the 15th largest economy out of 27 members. As a developed country, Greece's economy relies 85% on the service sector and 12% on industries, while the agricultural sector makes up only 3% of the national economic output. Even though Greece is a wealthy country, the last decade has been rough because of the economic crisis.
An Economic Overview of Greece
Greece went through major economic crises, and now it is slowly stabilizing. As per the IMF, Greece's economy is expected to grow by 3.3% this year and 5.4% in 2022. The economy is getting triggered by factors like European recovery fund investment and controlled spending because of the pandemic and tourism, which Greece is well known for. According to a report by Al Jazeera, Greece plans to use 57 billion euros in the next six years to rebuild the network industries and reform the services of the state while attracting investment and boosting exports.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, theTalk to an Expert
hassle-free way with
Companies Going for Remote Workers
Multinational companies are constantly on the lookout for genuine talents. There had been a slump in the job market since the lockdown. But after the vaccines have been administered, many companies are trying to compensate for the lost opportunities. There is a hiring spree in many locations, with companies hiring employees with distinct skill sets.
Reasons for Hiring Remote Workers
Companies want to hire remote workers sometimes from a particular location to cater to their client's needs. This also becomes very cost-effective while bridging the talent gap. The remote can be a sales executive position. But hiring someone who knows the market will be more beneficial for the company than someone from another location.
Sometimes organizations hire staff to help in understanding the local culture. This helps in customer care jobs where the remote worker can easily address the query. These days organizations walk that extra mile to meet a customer's needs, and they hire remote workers to help meet the client's needs. Also, organizations want to have a diverse team as it could profit from them. Employees with different backgrounds bring in different perspectives and values for the organization.
How Does it Benefit the Remote Workers?
Through technology, remote work has given employees immense flexibility and freedom. Employees can be nearer to their families without compromising on their work-life balance. Companies find these employees more motivated and self-driven. They also work in a structured manner.
Skillset in Greece
The population of Greece is 10,717,169, and the GDP is 209.853 Billion USD. A report released by PwC says that Greece has very good infrastructure in terms of airports, ports, highways, and communication lines. It ranks 37th globally and 18th among the EU countries for quality of infrastructure. The internet speed is around 86.70 Mbps for mobile download and 37.71 Mbps for fixed broadband. This is a very good speed for remote work.
Greeks are highly intelligent and well-qualified people. The major industries of Greece are food, shipping, tourism, tobacco processing, textiles, petroleum, metal products, chemicals, mining, and industrial products.
Thessaloniki – Second Biggest City in Greece
After Athens, the second biggest city is Thessaloniki, a bustling city known for its dynamic talent pool. Students and those belonging to the academic community make up almost 50% of the population of Thessaloniki. This attracts a lot of investment, and Thessaloniki is fast becoming a tech hub. As remote jobs are becoming the order of the day, jobs like customer service, marketing, software development, writing, translation, etc., get taken like hotcakes.
Here is a list of jobs that can be done remotely:
- Customer Care and Admin Support – Many digital companies and online retailers seek to strengthen their customer care to achieve high CSAT (Customer Satisfaction), which has become the cornerstone for any business. They hire remote workers to help solve customer queries. For this, having phone skills as well as listening skills are essential for a customer care job. Besides, knowing the local flavor with administrative skills will help a great deal to be admin personnel.
- Marketing and Sales work – Anyone who has little negotiation skills could do these jobs remotely. Remote workers are best suited for this job as they are aware of the local culture. Companies can launch their products and use the local hire to help in capturing the market, while marketers can sell health insurance, financial products other than consumer goods. Greeks also speak English, and being bilingual adds to one's advantage.
- Entry-level Computer jobs - Not everything is about computer programming and development; many entry-level jobs are available to earn from the comfort of one's home. These are easy to do and need no advanced training. Basic computer and typing skills are the only requirements for this job.
- Teaching and Tutor jobs – Since the lockdown, schools and colleges have gone online. Many want to enroll their kids in online classes to learn new skills. Hence online teaching jobs have become the order of the day. Many professionals also upskill themselves by taking up online courses. Apart from subject matter expertise, one needs a good internet connection.
- Writing and Translation projects – Remote jobs can take care of article and blog writing, editing and proofreading, resume writing, books, and e-books. These require research and language skills for the content to be original.
Cost of Living in Greece
It is super affordable in Greece when compared to the USA and some other countries of Europe. Apartment rents are 70% less than the US, and essential food items are 20% less. Greece is a safe place to live and has a very low crime rate.
Estimated monthly costs for a family of four are 2,145.25€ without rent.
Estimated monthly costs for a single person are 620.50€ without rent.
According to data released by Global Property Guide, house rentals are also quite cheap in Greece, standing at 1,438 EUR as compared to 5,846 EUR.
Greece - 12 Largest Cities
Salary Range in Greece
The salary range sits between 620 EUR to 10,900 EUR. The average being 2,430 EUR. A person with 2-5 years of experience gets a 32% hike in salary compared to a fresher.
Labor Laws in Greece
There is a high skill mismatch in Greece, and it has been observed that many are overqualified for their position, having gained their tertiary graduation. Greece's labor laws set the working time as 40 hours a week if it is equally distributed 8 hours in a 5-day week and 6 hours and 40 mins in a 6-day week. Beyond 9 hours of extra working, time is considered overtime and has to be duly paid.
Digital Nomads in Greece
Tourism is a major attraction in Greece. After the lockdown, many are looking at getaways, having completely stayed at home the whole last year. Many countries like Greece welcome people who already have a job elsewhere, offering them digital nomad visas. Under a digital nomad visa, travelers can stay in Greece without taking away a local job. This would attract business for locals from apartment rentals to restaurants, coffee shops, and other retail businesses.
Greece Remote Hiring Trends 2022
Growth in Hiring Activity
While it is true Greece has been in a major economic downfall, the country is making a comeback. Greece had an economic expansion of 2.3% in the first quarter of 2022 and currently holds a growth rate of 7%. The country's total growth is estimated to range from 3.5% to 5.4%.
This growth has also provided a high demand for skills revolving around business, technology, and data science. According to a report by Coursera, Greece has 89% of users training in business, 42% of users training in technology, and 69% of users training in data science. Thus, Greece is an attractive country for hiring remote workers in these fields.
Top Companies Hiring in Greece 2022
In this new digital age, some of the top companies hiring in Greece include:
- Deloitte (Accounting & Tax)
- Accenture (Business Consulting)
- IBM (Information Technology Support Services)
- Microsoft (Computer Hardware Development)
- Teleperformance (Telecommunications Services)
Companies like these are considered to be some of the best employers in Greece in 2022. This can be attributed to both the treatment of their employees and the adaptation to remote work positions.
Top In-Demand Job Roles in Greece 2022
Greece's talent pool has a high demand for skills in:
- Customer Service
- Computer Programming
- Software Development
- Teaching and Tutoring
- Administrative Support
- Technology Development
- Mechanical Engineering
Greece also has high demands for skills linked to digital marketing, sales, accounting, IT, and medical practitioners.
How Can Skuad Help You in Hiring in Greece?
Hiring in Greece is a multi-faceted task requiring in-depth knowledge of the laws, trends, hiring costs, living costs city-wise, and more. Skuad comes onboard as a one-stop solution handling every minute aspect of recruitment. It gives you the freedom and time to focus on your project and expansion plans without any hiring stresses. Get in touch with Skuad Experts to know more