If your company is seeking to expand its hiring reach or invest in talent in Cameroon, you must be familiar with the country's labor laws and regulations. In this article, we will discuss what you need to know when performing background checks in Cameroon, the requirements, how to perform such inquiries and the benefits and legalities of background checks in Cameroon. Read on to learn more.
What you need to know when performing background checks in Cameroon
Employee background verification is an important part of any company's hiring process. Performing a thorough background check on each potential employee in Cameroon involves the examination of multiple types of records, including criminal, employment history, education, and even medical history.
You should strongly consider performing an employment history check in Cameroon. Up to 40% of resumes and job applications submitted in Cameroon may contain falsified employment history information, which makes it especially important to verify the information your job applicants provide.
Unfortunately, it is common for job applicants in Cameroon to falsify or exaggerate their educational achievements on their resumes or job applications. As part of your pre-employment screening process, you should conduct an education verification screening, which entails contacting educational institutions directly to verify the certifications or degrees the candidate claims to have earned, their dates of attendance, and their graduation date.
When hiring a foreign national to work in Cameroon, a medical examination is required as part of the application process for a work visa. The visa applicant is also required to possess a certificate proving they have received a valid yellow fever vaccine.
In Cameroon, you can initiate a criminal record search through the local level court based on the jurisdiction of the city. After requesting a criminal record search, you should receive a report containing any felony convictions the candidate has had in the past seven years. The information for each case should include the filing date, case type, filing location, case number, and information about the charges, disposition, and sentencing, if applicable.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, the hassle -free way with SkuadTalk to an expert
Requirements for background checks in Cameroon
Each of the various types of background checks in Cameroon requires you to provide different information.
To perform an employment background check in Cameroon, you must furnish the following information regarding your job candidate:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Former employer's name and contact information
- Dates of employment
- Job title or position
- A hand-signed release or consent form
To conduct an educational verification, you must provide the following information for the candidate:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Name of educational institution
- Location of educational institution
- Dates of attendance
- Degree earned
- Copy of degree
- Signed release or consent form
You must confirm that your job applicant who is applying for a work visa in Cameroon has received a medical examination from a properly accredited physician as well as a valid yellow fever vaccination.
To perform a criminal records search in Cameroon, you must provide the following information about the job applicant:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Full address
- Signed release or consent form
Steps in conducting background checks in Cameroon
When preparing to conduct a background check in Cameroon, you should follow these steps:
- Determine which types of background checks you must conduct to receive all of the pertinent information you will need to make a decision about employing the job applicant.
- Obtain the applicant's required consent for each type of background check you plan to conduct.
- Confirm that the applicant has a valid national identity card, which is required in Cameroon to apply for work, vote, obtain a passport, and apply for a driver's license.
- Collect all necessary documents, certificates, reports, and information. You may wish to enlist the services of a reputable third-party company specializing in running background checks in Cameroon.
- Conduct the background check, ensuring you verify all provided details.
Benefits of background checks
When recruiting and hiring workers in Cameroon, there are multiple reasons your company should consider performing background checks on each candidate. Some of the benefits of conducting background checks on potential employees include:
- Hiring only the most qualified candidates with the most stellar track records
- Culling any candidates with serious criminal charges or convictions, thereby improving the safety of your workplace
- Protecting your company from lawsuits, liabilities, and other legal trouble
- Reducing turnover by hiring only the most reliable, well-qualified job seekers
- Avoiding hiring negligent or dishonest applicants who present falsified credentials
- Giving you insight into the morality, trustworthiness, and ethics of your potential employees
- Allowing you to assist the best quality candidates with immigration
Although some companies question the necessity of investing money in performing a comprehensive background check for every job applicant, this procedure can have a significant long-term impact by preventing your company from hiring someone with falsified credentials or qualifications or other troubling issues.
Are employee background checks legal in Cameroon?
In Cameroon, employers are legally allowed to conduct several types of background checks on job candidates without restriction. These include criminal record checks and medical screenings. Some types of background checks, however, may be restricted in Cameroon depending on the circumstances, including address checks and identity checks.
Planning to hire in Cameroon? Here's how Skuad can help
Hiring a global workforce or talent in Cameroon requires the employer to check the potential employee's criminal, financial, and past employment records. With Skuad as your Employer of Record, you can compliantly vet prospective employees, hire and onboard them, and make payments in 100+ currencies across the globe. To learn more, talk to our experts today!
What background checks are asked?
There are a variety of different types of background checks that potential employers in Cameroon can conduct as part of their pre-employment verification process. For example, some commonly run background reports include:
- Employment history verification
- Educational background check
- Medical screening background check
- Criminal record check, police clearance certificate, or criminal history check
- Financial history check
- Personal credit report
- Business credit report
- Social media activity report
- Terrorist/sanctions search
- Professional license verification
- Professional association verification
- Civil records check
- Tax ID verification
- Passport validation
- Right-to-work check
How do I get an international background check?
It is important to maintain legal compliance with all pertinent laws relating to background checks in your job applicant's country of residence. To perform an international background check, follow these steps:
- Ensure you fulfill the legal requirements. In some countries, some kinds of pre-employment checks may be required by law. It is also important that you verify the job candidate is legally allowed to work in the country where the job is based. Finally, some countries require certain workers to have specific degrees, certificates, or qualifications to perform a particular job.
- Confirm the candidate's credentials. It is vital that you verify the authenticity of the credentials each job applicant provides in their resume or job application.
- Prevent crime and protect other people. Undoubtedly, you want to avoid hiring a candidate who could pose a risk to your employees or customers. For this reason, it is important to perform a criminal history check. Hiring someone with a criminal history can lead to your company being liable in the event that the worker commits a similar crime. Also, knowing your job candidate's criminal history can help you avoid hiring someone who could commit theft or other crimes against your company.
- Hire the best candidates. Performing background checks is a practice used to help you find the most appropriate workers for your team. Background screening can help you choose the best candidate for your open position.
How to get a background check?
Each type of background check in Cameroon can be conducted by request through the appropriate authorities.
- Employment history verifications are performed by contacting the job applicant's former employers directly to verify the provided information.
- Educational verifications can be performed by reaching out to the job applicant's educational institution to verify they have obtained the degrees or certifications they included on their resume or job application.
- Medical screenings consist of the work visa applicant obtaining a medical examination from a properly accredited medical professional, as well as providing proof that they have received a valid yellow fever vaccine.
- Criminal records searches are conducted through the local court based on the jurisdiction of the city provided.
Do all countries do background checks?
Although background screening in Cameroon is a common practice, performing background checks as part of the pre-employment screening process is not common in every country around the world. In those countries where the practice is a typical part of the hiring process, the job candidate's consent is most often required.