Employer of Record in Malta
Employer of Record (EOR) solutions include a gamut of services for the customers who are willing to recruit employees and thereby run the payroll, despite not having an office or subsidiary in the country. The recruitment process is carried out by the EOR service in the country as per the local laws. Employees work for the parent company as a team, but the EOR firm manages the day-to-day operations and human resource (HR) tasks, including recruitment, hiring, onboarding, payroll, taxes, probation, termination, leaves, compensation, and visas.
If you are planning to tap into expansion opportunities in Malta, connect with Skuad experts. Skuad’s high-tech, centralized HR platform can expedite your expansion plans. Talk to a Skuad expert and book a demo today.
Malta at a Glance
Population: 0.52 million people (2020)
Currency: Euro (EUR)
Languages spoken: Maltese and English
Gross Domestic Product (GDP): 14.79 billion USD (2020)
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, the hassle -free way with SkuadTalk to an expert
Employment in Malta
Malta Labor Laws
The Employment and Industrial Relations Act under the Laws of Malta Chapter 452 and a series of 118 subsidiary regulations govern employment in Malta. These laws cover work conditions, rights, minimum wages, clauses of termination, and more. Several EU directives and regulations such as those on posting of workers, transfer of business, and collective redundancies form subsidiary laws in Malta. Maltese Laws regulate health, safety along with disability, equivalent treatment, and data protection.
Other employee entitlements are given below.
Avail yourself of Skuad’s EOR solution for Malta by talking to Skuad experts today. We ensure to expedite your expansion efforts while adhering to the employment laws perfectly.
Contractors vs. Full-time Employees
Although an employment contract does not have to be in writing, the below-mentioned points are important.
- When a period of employment is more than one month and exceeds eight hours of work in a week, the employer is required to provide a written statement to the employee giving the conditions of work within the eight working hours in a day, starting from the initiation of job or employment
- A written employment contract and job description are considered good practices
- Employment contracts can be definite or indefinite
- A definite contract means a fixed-term contract wherein both parties normally accept its duration. It also includes a date of expiry
- An indefinite contract is one wherein the employee is engaged in employment for an indefinite period (without a limit)
Malta employment invariably includes an employment contract on how the employee consents to complete detailed work for an employer for agreed salaries. A written statement with the agreed conditions of employment is provided to the employee within eight days following the appointment. Employment includes a fixed term or an indefinite and maybe a full-time or part-time one. The salary frequency payments vary with the job nature. Salaries are directly credited to the bank account of the employees.
If employment is terminated based on redundancy, the employee will be reemployed if the position is available within one year from the termination date. Employment that is temporary and fixed-term expires at the end of the specified period, and no notice is required. A fixed-term contract shall be taken as an indefinite period contract if the employee is retained after the contract expires if the latter is not provided with a new contract in the first 12 working days after the expiry of the former contract.
Skuad’s high-tech, centralized HR platform can help you hire employees for expansion in Malta whether you require full-time or contract-based workers. Talk to a Skuad’s expert and book a demo today.
Hiring in Malta
The primary step in the hiring process is posting a job advertisement. The employers must provide detailed information regarding the job role, duties of the role.
The following portals can help find jobs.
- Times of Malta
Hiring Process in Malta
- For new employees in the labor market, the documents required are as follows.
- Employee’s identification card card
- The NI 3, obtained from the district office of the Department of Social Security
- The employment license for nationals of third-country and EU going through a phase of transition
- A certificate from the Department of Citizenship and Expatriates, Evans Building, St. Elmo Place, Valletta for those born aboard but with dual citizenship
- There is restricted employment of minors of compulsory school age.
- Employers must legally notify the career portals of details of new employees.
- The corporation must also be informed of terminations.
- For Maltese nationals, if the employers are advertising on job sites, the details of competencies, qualifications, skills, and work experience requirements must be given.
- For employing EU nationals, the vacancies can be advertised on job portals and through job fairs and recruitment events conducted for 31 European-wide network countries (EURES).
- For employing third-world countries’ nationals, a single permit directive is to be followed.
Advantages and Pitfalls of Online Hiring
The advantages of online hiring are as follows.
- It is cost-effective
- It is quickly available
- It can stretch out to a large market
- It is easy and simple
- It can allow the creation of powerful job advertisements
- It is flexible and allows confidentiality
The disadvantages of online hiring are as follows.
- The effectiveness of the candidate cannot be measured immediately
- It is an informal process
- It may not attract the right candidates
- Technical issues can hinder the process
Avail of Skuad experts’ guidance and services that can help you with effective hiring in Malta.
Probation & Termination
Probation is the first six months of employment. The parties may consent to a lesser term. For a contract of service or a collective agreement concerning employees with executive, technical, managerial position, or administrative jobs, or when the wages are at least twice the minimum wages for the year, the probation period is one year, unless a shorter duration is agreed upon.
The probationary period is not to be increased beyond the maximum period approved by law. Where the employer and the employee allow for a lesser period, such a period is compelling by law and may be increased up to the highest limit considered by law, if both parties agree.
Termination of Service
When on probation, each party can terminate the employment without specifying any cause, given that one week notice is provided if the employment has surpassed one month. But in the matter of terminating the employment of a pregnant employee while on probation, the employer is required to give her the grounds in writing to verify that the removal is independent of the employee’s health.
The Employer may only terminate a contract of employment based on a right and satisfactory cause. A term that has no legal explanation and comprises the interpretational reason for each case of wrongful removal is not valid.
Skuad experts can help you with effective HR solutions. Talk to experts today to learn more.
An EOR service helps organizations manage payroll in the country. Additionally, it helps in solutions through taxation, and compliance management matters, and the burden is eased from employers. EOR providers take care of employment contracts, compliances and local norms, compensation and benefits, employee expenses, and probation, separation, and termination.
The greatest benefit of working with an EOR service is that you can focus on growing your company while your EOR partner takes care of the rest. Skuad can make sure each of your employees has a positive hiring experience. Since we take over all the HR-related processes, including hiring, payroll, taxation, and securing visas and work permits for your employees, you’ll be able to focus on the business side of things. Further, you won’t have to worry about contravening any of the Malta employment laws.
Skuad’s Malta EOR solution can take care of work visas and other HR-related tasks for you. Talk to us to learn more.
Types of Visas
Requirements to Obtain a Work Visa in Malta
The requirements of a Maltese visa are,
- A completed visa application form
- Covering letter justifying applicant’s trip to Malta
- At least two blank pages in a valid passport
- Two passport-size photos
- Proof that the applicant has travel medical insurance covering the entire Schengen area
- A company based in Malta providing an employment contract
- Proof of accommodations for the stay in Malta
- Proof of satisfactory financial means to cover the complete period of stay of the applicant
Get the right guidance from Skuad for your employees’ visa requirements. Talk to Skuad to learn more.
Work Permits in Malta
For Malta’s accession to the EU, citizens of EU/EFTA countries and their close family members including spouses and children will not require any employment licenses for working in Malta, even if they are not EU or EFTA citizens. All other nationals, termed Third Country Nationals (TCNs), are to provide a single permit application for working and residing in Malta.
Single Permit Procedure
From 2014, every TCN is required to complete the process of a single permit. This is to be approved for work and residing in Malta. This single permit system requires the application of a Single Permit, which must include the following.
- A valid employment contract copy
- Cover from private medical insurance for 12 months
- Position description signed by the employer
- A signed CV
- References for work experience of a minimum of three years to be submitted to Identity Malta
Skuad’s extensive EOR services include sponsoring work permits. We have comprehensive knowledge of the local laws about work permits. Immigration laws are revised regularly, so it’s hard to keep up with the latest developments. We have expertise in Malta’s taxation and immigration policies that can ensure you receive up-to-date, accurate information. Talk to us today to learn more.
Payroll & Taxes in Malta
Taxes in Malta
In Malta, the taxes are as follows.
Payroll Options in Malta
The four main choices include the following:
Skuad will outsource your payroll and also shoulder all compliance. We’re here to make your expansion easier so that you can focus more on your strategy. Talk to us today to learn more.
Incorporation of a Subsidiary in Malta
For incorporating a subsidiary in Malta in 2021, the investor must observe the provisions of the Maltese Companies Act. These include,
- Name and registered address of the office
- Details of the nature of the company
- Details of the company’s activities
- Shareholders’ details
- Amount of capital details
- Shareholders’ rights and the number of shares issued to all shareholders
- Company directors and secretary details
- Availability period
- Company’s legal representative details
Talk to us to know how Skuad will let you start working in the country faster without the need to first set up your subsidiary. You won’t have to learn Malta’s subsidiary laws, and you can run your company without worrying about the risk of compliance. We’ll give you all the tools you need to succeed.
Skuad’s EOR services handle all compliance functions including payroll and taxation. Get in touch with Skuad experts to learn more!
Professional Employer Organization (PEO)
A professional employer organization (PEO) collaborates with medium-and small-sized organizations to provide HR services. A PEO handles various HR services such as recruitment, payroll, training, and other HR tasks. An EOR also provides similar HR services; however, the difference lies in the arrangement or association between the outsourcing company and the business.
A PEO acts as your co-employer, whereas an EOR service acts as the legal employer of your employees. The latter assumes all the responsibilities and liabilities of your remote team. You can outsource a specific HR function or end-to-end activities.
Further, an EOR service allows you to expand your workforce without setting up a business entity. It handles payroll funding, worker’s compensation, and unemployment claims and reports. It files taxes under its file ID number. A PEO service cannot provide these services without an existing subsidiary setup.
Skuad provides topnotch services. Its unified employment platform handles all HR-related services with efficiency and dedication. We strive to understand your needs and end-goal to help grow and expand your business. Our bespoke services will save you precious time and money. Book a demo with Skuad experts to know more about our EOR solution.
Conclusion: What Gives Skuad’s Malta Solutions an Edge?
Skuad has an extensive network in 150+ countries across the globe and provides a single interface to onboard and manage employees and contractors. It offers consistent prices irrespective of the location and manages the payment of your team through a single invoice.
Skuad offers customized EOR solutions to kick-start your business in Malta. Its extensive knowledge of the local laws, language, customs, and market will ensure the smooth expansion of your business. It also ensures that your IP, invention rights, and sensitive employee details are fully protected wherever you operate. For more details, contact Skuad experts!