To accommodate the growing population of remote and hybrid employees, a number of countries have introduced digital nomad visas that permit remote workers to legally reside and operate within their borders. This article discusses the concept of a digital nomad visa, the distinction between remote workers and digital nomads, eligibility requirements, and 10 countries in 2023 offering such visas.
What is a Digital Nomad Visa?
A digital nomad visa is a travel authorization that allows remote employees to legally reside and work in a foreign country. These visas are intended for professionals who operate remotely and are not bound to a specific location.
Remote Workers vs. Digital Nomads
Remote workers are professionals who execute their responsibilities outside of their employer's office. This could be performed at home, in a coworking space, or in a café. Digital nomads, on the other hand, are remote employees who travel internationally while working remotely. They are typically location-independent and employed by global organizations.
Discover more countries with remote work visas here.
One platform to grow your global team
Hire and pay talent globally, the
hassle-free way with
Eligibility Criteria for a Digital Nomad Visa
While each nation has its own eligibility requirements, there are a few that are universal.
- Evidence of funds or consistent earnings
- Medical insurance
- No criminal record
- The possession of a valid passport
- Individuals must be employed, such as in a contract with a company headquartered in a foreign country.
10 countries offering digital nomad visas in 2023
The following are ten countries with nomad visas for remote workers
Estonia is notable for being the birthplace of Skype, the ubiquitous video calling and messaging application. As a great environment for digital infrastructure, Estonia has a high internet penetration rate, a highly qualified workforce, and public spaces for remote work.
- You must have a stable monthly income that meets the minimum requirement. As of September 2021, the minimum monthly gross income before taxes is €3,504 (gross). You must provide income documentation for the six months preceding the application.
- Apply online via the website of the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- A short-term visa costs €100, while a long-term visa is €80.
Georgia is one of the best locations for remote digital nomad employment. The name of their nomad program is "Remotely from Georgia."
- Apply electronically through the website of the Georgian government
- Free, but a minimum monthly income of $2,000 is required.
- You must demonstrate that you are an employee of a company or a freelancer who can work remotely from any location.
- You must demonstrate a monthly income of at least $2,000, either from an employer or as a freelancer.
- You must have health insurance that is valid throughout your stay in Georgia.
Portugal's rich culture, stunning natural scenery, and excellent climate make it a desirable location for remote workers who seek a balance between work and play. Portugal is a wonderful country for remote work due to its high quality of life and welcoming environment.
- The official name of the digital nomad visa in Portugal is "Temporary Stay Visa for Remote Workers" or "D7 visa."
- Apply through your country's Portuguese consulate or embassy.
- The visa application is €83 and the residence permit is €72.
- Applicants must be self-employed or employed by a corporation registered outside of Portugal, and work can be performed remotely from any location.
Discover efficient ways to hire remote employees in Portugal here.
Spain has recently introduced the Non-Lucrative Visa for Digital Nomads, a new form of visa designed specifically for digital nomads.
The country's rich culture and history, beautiful landscapes, and pleasant climate in many regions make it a desirable location to live and work. Additionally, Spanish cities have a thriving café culture that can be conducive to remote work.
- You will be required to provide proof that you work remotely, such as a contract with your employer, evidence of self-employment, or proof of freelance work.
- You are required to have comprehensive health coverage for the duration of your stay in Spain.
- Apply through your country's Spanish consulate or embassy.
- Visa application fees amount to €516
Internet connectivity and digital infrastructure in Germany are outstanding, which is essential for remote work. The country in Europe is renowned for its high standard of living, so you can anticipate excellent healthcare, education, and social services.
- As a remote worker, you must demonstrate that you have a reliable source of income. This could be a job offer, a contract, or proof of freelance labor.
- During your stay in Germany, you must have sufficient funds to sustain yourself. In general, you must demonstrate that you have at least €8,640 in your bank account. The precise quantity will depend on your individual circumstances.
- Apply via your native country's German consulate or embassy.
- 75 Euros for visa application fees
Learn how to hire remote employees seamlessly in Germany here.
Croatia's natural grandeur and high quality of life is one of the greatest advantages of working remotely there. With its breathtaking coastline, picturesque cities, and vibrant culture, Croatia offers a high quality of life and a relaxed lifestyle that can be conducive to remote work.
- Obtain coverage for the duration of your stay in Croatia. You can purchase Croatian health insurance or provide evidence of international coverage.
- Demonstrate that you are a remote worker or independent contractor who serves clients outside of Croatia.
- Apply through your native country's Croatian consulate or embassy
- 420 Krona for visa application fees
Due to its rich heritage, beautiful landscapes, and vibrant culture, Italy is an increasingly popular destination for digital nomads. The Italian government offers a visa for remote workers and digital nomads who desire to live and work in the country.
- Hospitalization, outpatient care, and medical repatriation must be covered by the applicant's comprehensive health insurance policy, which must be valid in Italy.
- Apply through your native country's Italian consulate or embassy
- Visa application fees amount to €116
Learn more on visas in Italy here.
Mauritius, a gorgeous island nation in the Indian Ocean, is a popular location for digital nomads due to its tropical climate, beautiful beaches, and vibrant culture. In 2020, in recognition of the potential of remote workers, the government of Mauritius instituted the Premium Travel Visa to accommodate digital nomads and long-stay travelers.
- You must present proof of your travel intentions, such as a round-trip plane ticket or an itinerary.
- You must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself throughout your stay in Mauritius. This may consist of bank statements, regular income documentation, or a combination of both.
- Apply online through the government website of Mauritius Cost: Free
Brazil is an ideal location for digital nomads who wish to encounter South America's splendor. In an effort to bolster the country's economy, the Brazilian government proposed a 12-month digital nomad visa that is renewable for another 12 months after expiration in 2022.
- Evidence of a minimum monthly income of $1,400 or a minimum bank balance of $17,000.
- Health insurance protection.
- Employment with an international organization.
- Price: $100 USD
With Sydney, Adelaide, and Melbourne as renowned tourist destinations, Australia has much to offer digital nomads.
By applying for a First Working Holiday Visa, digital nomads can spend up to a year in Australia.
Learn more about Australia’s work permits and visa requirements here.
- A legitimate passport from a qualifying nation
- You must be traveling on your own
- Price: 384 USD
Go global with Skuad
With the global acceptance of remote work, more nations are likely to introduce digital nomad visas to attract multinational corporations and highly qualified workers.
While this list provides an overview of the 10 nomad visa countries in 2023, it is essential to research each country's requirements prior to applying.
Make the globe your workplace! Schedule a demo with Skuad today to learn more about hiring and building a globally distributed team.
Can a digital nomad visa lead to permanent residency?
It depends on the country offering the digital nomad visa and its requirements. While some countries have digital nomad visas as a pathway to permanent residency, others may not. Therefore, it is important to conduct in-depth research on the conditions of the digital nomad visa.
Does the US have a digital nomad visa?
No, the US has no digital nomad visa. However, there are other visa types and residence permits for digital nomads and remote workers in the United States.
Which EU countries offer digital nomad visas?
The EU countries that offer digital nomad visas currently are Estonia, Germany, Portugal, the Czech Republic, Norway, Spain, and Italy. It is important to note that eligibility for a digital nomad visa varies across different countries.
What is the cheapest digital nomad visa in Europe?
Estonia currently has the cheapest digital nomad visa in Europe, which costs 100 Euros and is valid for one year.