Employer of Record in Mauritius
Skuad’s Mauritius Employers of Record (EOR) solution is perfect for companies looking to expand into the country without setting up an entity. Employ, pay, and manage a team of employees in Mauritius without any hassles. Skuad’s solution will take care of all employment-related functions such as onboarding and training, compliance issues, payroll management, taxation, probation, and termination. An otherwise arduous task that requires the grasp of the local culture, laws, regulations, and business practices, becomes simple with Skuad. Use Skuad’s international network to hire in Mauritius. Talk to Skuad experts to learn more!
Mauritius at a Glance
Capital: Port Louis
Official Languages: English and French
Population: 1,265,475 (2019 estimate)
Gini Index: 36.8 (2017)
Currency: Mauritian rupee (MUR)
Nominal GDP: $14.812 billion (2019 estimate)
HDI: 0.804 (very high)
Group: Developing economy
Population below poverty line: 8%
Ease-of-doing-business rank: 13th
Employment In Mauritius
As Mauritius holds 13th place in the ease-of-doing-business index of 2021, expanding your business in Mauritius is uncomplicated. Instead of categorizing employees based on blue and white-collar, the government of Mauritius classifies the type of employees based on their salary. All the Mauritius employment laws apply to employees earning MUR 50,000 or less without any exceptions. However, only special provisions apply to employees earning over MUR 50,000. The employer and the employee can mutually decide to include additional benefits in a written agreement.
Skuad helps your company with employment in Mauritius. From drawing employment contracts to managing payroll and taxes, our professional team of lawyers and HRs will improve your efficiency by allowing you to focus on your daily business operations. Learn more by getting in touch with us.
Contractors vs. Full-time Employees
Employment contracts in Mauritius are drawn of two kinds:
- Contracts of indeterminate duration: Also known as indefinite contracts, these contracts are signed between the employer and employee without mentioning a specific date of contract expiry. If any of the parties - employer or employee, wishes to terminate these kinds of contracts, they should do it only after following the mandated procedures.
- Contracts of determinate duration: Also known as the employment of fixed duration, the employee and employer agree on a specific duration of employment in which the former is expected to perform a non-recurring work. These types of employees are appointed:
- For short-term or seasonal job
- As a terminated employee’s replacement
- For training
- Under a special contract
The written employment agreement in Mauritius must mention the duration of the contract, the special skills required, and the tasks that need to be performed in the said duration. If these conditions are not met, the worker and the employer cannot enter a fixed-term contract following the law.
As per the employment contract law in Mauritius, a part-time employee must not be discriminated against when compared to a full-time employee. The employer must design the employment contract in a way that the contract of a full and part-time employee is similar. If by any chance, a vacancy occurs for a full-time position, an employer must give priority to a temporary or part-time worker working on the same grade.
For overtime compensation, a part-time employee can be paid less than a full-time employee if the total number of hours worked is not more than the number of hours worked by a full-time employee at a similar position excluding the latter’s leave and overtime duration.
Book a demo to understand the operations of Skuad in terms of compliance and payroll management of part-time and full-time employees.
Hiring in Mauritius
If you’re looking to hire employees in Mauritius, the employment terms and conditions will be governed by Wages Regulations. Any employee that would be working for more than one month at an employer’s company, must have signed a written contract with the terms and details of employment explicitly mentioned in them. This contract must be submitted to the supervising officer within a month.
An employer must consider the following benefits for their employee.
- Medical: There are several employee health benefits in Mauritius because every employer who employs more than 10 employees must make the required arrangements for the health and safety of employees. If an employee meets with an accident or becomes sick at work, the employer must bear the expenses of conveying the employee to the nearest hospital along with a co-employee as appointed by the employer.
- Breaks: On every working day, an employer must allow their employees one hour of a break for every four consecutive hours of work. The employees must also have twenty minutes of tea break which can be taken straight or broken down into 10 minutes each throughout the day.
- Tools: An employer must provide the tools required for completing the work assigned to the employees. These tools must be replaced as required for improving the efficiency of work.
- Transportation: If an employee stays more than 3 kilometers away from the physical workplace location, the employer must either pay for their conveyance or arrange free transport. However, the employer must provide an allowance equal to the corresponding bus fare if the employee chooses to travel by their means of transport.
According to reports, 47,398 students enrolled in part-time and full-time graduate programs in Mauritius as of December 2018. This also included the number of students enrolled in Distance education courses. More than 46% of the population aged 20-24 years in Mauritius had enrolled for some of the other types of tertiary education.
Probation & Termination
When an employer and employee decide to end the employment contract, it becomes ineffective from the date mutually decided by them. A worker can claim that their employment agreement has been terminated by the employer when:
- The employer fails to pay monthly remuneration as promised
- The employer treats the employee in a bad manner
- The employer forces the employee to sign a resignation letter
The standard probation period in Mauritius ranges from one to three months depending on the terms agreed upon by the signing parties of the employment contract. During this period, the employer and employee get to analyze the work environment and performance of the other party to decide if it meets their requirements.
Termination of employment in Mauritius takes place through a series of strict procedures. The minimum period of notice for terminating an employee is one month unless stated otherwise in the employment contract. If a tribunal or court determines that an employee was terminated based on an unjustified reason, the court will reward the employee based on the calculated amount.
An employer has the right to suspend an employee for the reason of poor performance or misconduct. No notice is required for such dismissals. However, the employer must note that dismissals based on poor performance can be made only when the following conditions are met.
- The employee has received a minimum of seven days’ notice to answer the allegations made on them
- The employer has exhausted every possible option other than termination of the employee
Similarly, the following conditions must be met for terminating an employee based on misconduct.
- Within 10 days of learning about an employee’s alleged misconduct, the employer has informed the employee about it
- The employee has been given seven days’ notice to answer the allegations made on them
- The employer has tried every other course of action possible
The employer must notify the following authorities if they wish to reduce the number of employees working under them or shut the establishment down.
- Recognized trade union if there exists one
- Trade union with representational status
- If there is no trade union as mentioned in the above two points, an employee selected as the representative of the employees must be considered.
To ensure compliance with Mauritian employment laws, contact Skuad.
Understanding and implementing local laws are difficult at many stages when you’re trying to expand your business overseas. Skuad works with an internal team of HRs, Benefit Professionals, International Lawyers, and Accountants for providing services better than other employers of record companies in Mauritius. We inform you about the latest updates in compliance, tax, and laws while managing the entire HR requirements from our end.
As a company looking to expand in a foreign country, your task of searching for the best candidates from the knowledge workers of that country is outsourced to us. We take the responsibility of searching for the candidates meeting the required profile, performing drug and aptitude screening of the selected candidates, and completing their onboarding procedures.
Book a demo to understand the process of outsourcing your HR responsibilities.
Types of Visas In Mauritius
A Mauritius work visa is issued by an international Mauritian diplomatic mission in different countries or Immigration Office. An Immigration Officer interviews a foreign employee to verify their eligibility to transit or enter Mauritius. Even after a foreigner receives a visa to Mauritius, they only receive permission to travel up to any one of the entry ports in Mauritius. From there, the Immigration Officer will consider the financial situation of the person to permit them to stay in the country for a specific number of days.
The people listed below are exempted from a Mauritian visa.
- Children or stepchildren of Mauritian residents
- Diplomatic passport holders (Exception: Such passports issued by the governments of Yemen, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Sudan, and Algeria)
- People who wish to stay in Mauritius only for the duration of their vessel’s stay
- Spouse of a Mauritian citizen
Listed below are the type of work visas and other visas in Mauritius.
- Tourist visa: A foreigner is permitted to tour the country without performing any business activities with this visa.
- Transit visa: A transit visa is valid for a maximum of three days as it allows a visitor to enter a port in Mauritius before moving to any other country.
- On-arrival visa: Visitors coming from the countries from where people are allowed to take on-arrival visas, can get it from their port of entry in Mauritius.
- Temporary worker visa: A visitor can briefly work in Mauritius with this visa.
- Student visa: An international student can study at a college in Mauritius.
- Spousal visa: These visas are provided to the spouses of Mauritian citizens.
- Business visa: This visa is provided for participating in work or business-related activities for a short-term in Mauritius.
Save yourself the worry of Mauritius work visa requirements as Skuad sponsors the work visas of your international employees. Learn more.
An employer must pay MUR 700 as the processing fee of an application for a work permit in Mauritius. After the application of the Mauritius work permit for foreigners is approved by the respective authorities, the employer must pay an annual amount as prescribed by Mauritian law to ensure that the work permit of their employee does not get suspended.
Skuad helps your employees in getting a Mauritian work permit without a job offer. Talk to our experts to understand the process of work permit sponsorship.
Payroll & Taxes in Mauritius
A tax year in Mauritius starts from July 1 and ends by June 30. Find the details of Mauritius employer payroll taxes and other social securities charges in the country in the table below.
Skuad provides payroll outsourcing in Mauritius for companies of every size that wish to expand their business operations in the country. By partnering with us, you can ensure the compliance of local regulations and payroll management of your employees according to the updated employment laws of the country. Connect with us to leverage the benefits today.
Expanding your business in Mauritius is a complicated process with the need for multiple document submissions to the concerned local authorities. Instead of incorporating a holding company in Mauritius, you must outsource your HR responsibilities to our platform for remotely managing your teams as and when required.
Talk to our experts to learn about the business opportunities in Mauritius and the role of Skuad in your expansion.
Professional Employer Organization (PEO)
Hiring the right people and compensating them properly forms an integral part of your business expansion in Mauritius. But ignorance of the local law leaves a lot of room for error which can result in heavy penalties.
To safeguard from this, companies can opt to engage the services of a Professional Employer Organization (PEO) or Employers of Record (EOR). Even though you can outsource your HR requirements to both PEO and EOR organizations, understanding the minor differences between the two will help you choose better.
A PEO acts as a co-employer, wherein it manages all the HR-related functions such as setting up the payroll, processing the compensation and other benefits, handling all the tax-related compliances, etc. However, you, as a company, will hold the allied liabilities and responsibilities.
On the other hand, an EOR is a complete payroll outsourcing that provides all the services offered by a Professional Employer Organization Mauritius, and in addition, it becomes the legal employer of all the employees on your payroll. This means that they are responsible for compliance with the regulations and liable for non-compliance as well.
PEOs are suitable for companies looking for a long-term payroll partner, whereas EOR services are more suitable for companies looking for HR solutions for a quick international expansion.
Expanding your business operations in the subtropical island of Mauritius is valuable from a strategic and maritime perspective. Outsourcing your HR and compliance requirements is easy with the highly interactive platform of Skuad. Our professionals ensure the compliance of your business with the local laws, payroll management, and tax handling, without the need for an entity.
Connect with us to experience a highly efficient HR management system.